Jinny (SkyInk.net)'s Reviews > Wither

Jul 04, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction, apocalyptic, gorgeous-covers
Recommended for: ya fans
Read from July 03 to 04, 2011

The plot and the characters were alright by me, but the thing that really ruined the story for me was the world it takes place in ... It doesn't make sense to me.

And because it didn't make sense to me, I was continuously distracted by the questions I had in my head:

- If all diseases are eradicated, what about the natural humans who didn't have any diseases? They can just keep mating and creating more "natural" humans. Why did they all die out or something? I'm assuming you only need to kill the diseases from people who HAVE them, unless this is some sort of magic bullet inoculation they gave to every single person alive. It never really says in the book.

- Is all this polygamy and kidnapping and shooting girls in vans legal? Is there no government?? How did the USA end up like this anyway? I mean sure it's far in the future, but geez, it's a bit unbelievable that society would head in THAT direction if we all discovered we can't live past age 20/25.

- Why were the girls killed anyway, if procreating is so important these days? Wouldn't you need all the wombs you can get? The human race is dying and you're being picky?

- How come the servants don't have to procreate? Shouldn't everyone, ah, contribute?

- There's a lot of freaking orphans. What's the point of procreating if they just end up abandoned anyway?

Also ...

The kidnapped life doesn't seem so bad. You get servants. You marry a rich guy. You get whatever you want, massages, books, etc. It's really hard to feel sorry for Rhine, the protagonist. I mean, sure she wants freedom but her life really doesn't seem THAT bad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.