A.B. Gayle's Reviews > Between Sinners and Saints

Between Sinners and Saints by Marie Sexton

Aug 27, 11

bookshelves: glbt-romance

Over the last twelve months I got to know two guys online. One was abused as a young child and one has been scarred by his upbringing in the Mormon religion.

Marie has woven these two types of backgrounds skilfully together into a believable romance.

I just wish the men I met had a similar successful outcome. Unfortunately in both their cases, they're still having problems dealing with the aftermath decades later.

Marie particularly captured that feeling of shame, victims of sexual abuse have to live with. It's so unjustified but it happens. This paragraph sums it up beautifully:
Of course, wrapping his hand around Levi's hard cock made something in his mind revolt. The fear had already wormed its way through the pleasure, and now the shame surfaced as well. He didn't want to do this. He didn't want to hear the grunts and feel the warm stickiness on his hand. And yet at the same time, he did. He wanted to give Levi pleasure. He liked the way Levi moaned as he stroked him. He liked the way he arched against him. He wanted to erase those times with his uncle from his mind. He wanted to drown out the voice in his head saying he shouldn't be holding Levi's cock, he shouldn't be stroking him, he shouldn't be doing this. He shouldn't. But he wanted to. Or did he?

Tragically, cases like this are not uncommon for both males and females. The problem is that the perpetrators have no idea of the damage they are inflicting.

All kudos to Marie for tackling the difficult subjects and doing it so well.

My only niggle. Dolly went with them when they visited Levi's family, but we never "see" her there.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Sinners and Saints.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

A.B. Gayle Kate Mc. wrote: "Poor Dolly. She disappears a couple of times. Once when she was left at Levi's apartment for the day I kept worrying about when they'd go back and let her out!"
Yeah, I blame the editor for things like that. It only needs a sentence to fix it each time.