Marika's Reviews > I Want My Hat Back

I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen

5719841
Jun 30, 11

Read in May, 2011

Dark, sorrowful and funny. Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus flavored with a squeeze of Edward Gorey. Lemony Snicket finds a morose friend. All these tag lines ran through my head as I read I Want My Hat Back. I've been a fan of Jon Klassen's work since I first grabbed an ARC of The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place for the cover. Now, it's exciting to finally see an entire book by Jon.

Bear has lost his little red hat. He ventures through the forest, inquiring if anyone may have seen it. All the animals simply say that they haven't- except a rabbit wearing a hat, who suspiciously continues to insist that he has not seen any red hats. When a deer stops to ask Bear what his hat looks like, Bear comes to the startling realization that he's seen his hat. Until now, the backgrounds have been the creamy color of the page. But at this climax, Bear is depicted against a vivid red page, his emotion clearly evident. But how will Bear retrieve his hat? All I can say is this snarky ending is not to be missed and will have both adults and children laughing. I Want My Hat Back is a wonderful read aloud- especially for those enterprising individuals who will create a distinct voice for each and every character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Want My Hat Back.