Erin's Reviews > The Lost Continent: Travels in Small Town America

The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson

Aug 14, 07

Recommended for: cynical people who ride the metro
Read in August, 2007

This was a good metro book, but it didn't live up to my expectations. This is the first Bill Bryson I've ever read, and I love travelogues, so I assumed I would love his writing. But, really, he's kind of an ass, and sometimes he's just mean . . . and not in a good way. It got better as it went along, but there were a lot of points when I just wanted to say, "well if Britain is so great, why don't you move back there and just shut up!?"

I've heard that this isn't one of Bryson's best (I think it was one of his first books), so I'm not going to write him off completely (yet).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Continent.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lorenzo Pilla "But, really, he's kind of an ass, and sometimes he's just mean . . . and not in a good way."

I'll second that!

message 2: by Jozef (new) - added it

Jozef Nakielski You should read what he says about Britain in Notes from a Small Island, you won't say he thinks it so great then.

Jessica I found "a walk in the woods" to be far less snarky, and more educational. It's still a travelogue (sort of), but much better than "the lost continent". You're right when you say that this it's one of his best.