Zoe Tuck's Reviews > Women in Love

Women in Love by D.H. Lawrence

Dec 10, 12

bookshelves: fiction, 20th-c
Read from June 30, 2011 to December 10, 2012

Spurred by my current Anaïs Nin obsession, I picked up Women in Love (Nin did a critical study of D.H. Lawrence early in her career). Burned through a third of it on a long plan ride from New Orleans to Oakland. I am in pursuit of a lineage and a vindication (permission?) for doing work that deals with emotions, relationships - that which is written "from the blood", as Lawrence would say.

It has also been a long while since I have read a novel from what might glibly be called the age of novels (or one of the ages of novels; post WWI, post telegraph - pre Enduring Freedom, pre twitter). For me, childhood through say just post-adolescence was a time of serious patience for consuming long novels, akin almost to language acquisition in early childhood. So I am also revisiting a method of reading specific to a type of book that I have since moved away from.

I am also interested in the construction of gender identity in literature and the history and construction of romantic love.

At this point I realize I've said little about the actual book. Lawrence has moments of rhapsodic prose, punctuated by painstaking character creation mainly effected with dialogue.

More on this as I have time!
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Women in Love.