Daph (Loving Books)'s Reviews > I'm Not Her

I'm Not Her by Janet Gurtler

Oct 30, 11

bookshelves: 2011, debut, release-may, own-this-book, made-me-cry, contemporary, on-the-rollercoaster-of-feels
Read from September 21 to 23, 2011

Please note that nothing I say in this review can describe the intensity of the emotions I felt while reading this book.

Wow. Just.. Wow. Janet Gurtler's debut novel is one that both broke my heart and won it over at the same time.

We follow Tess in a difficult time when her popular sister is diagnosed with cancer and she suddenly finds herself getting a lot of attention from the popular crowd - something she has carefully avoided in her school career. She struggles to deal with her sister's disease and to top it all of, she can talk to nobody about it. It's breaking her and it was absolutely heart breaking to read this.

But the story is not only about the cancer that Kristina was diagnosed with. It's about dealing with a possibly deadly disease that affects an entire family, friends and even people at school who were never really close to Kristina. It's about realizing what's important. It's about standing up for yourself and for someone who can't do that for herself. Because sometimes people lose focus of what and who this is all about, and what's really important.

At a certain point in this book, I had to put it down because I was crying so much, I couldn't read one more word on the page because my sight was so blurry. I really cried, not just a few tears. The story grabbed my heart and squeezed and I can only say that it's because of Gurtler's magnificent story.

The story is brilliantly written, grabbing me within the first few pages and not even letting me go right away when I finished reading. The characters are written so well, so real, that I could completely feel with every single one of them - even Tess and Kristina's parents, who are in denial. It's an emotional rollercoaster and I could not stop reading.

My overall rating: 5/5

Gurtler's debut novel is raw, emotional, powerful and has immediately earned a spot among my favorite authors.

(this review is published on my blog, http://lvngbooks.blogspot.com)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Not Her.

09/21/2011 page 80
09/22/2011 page 157
49.0% "I think I might need to look for some tissues"
09/22/2011 page 207
65.0% "I can't stop crying"