Laura's Reviews > Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Oct 12, 11

Read in October, 2011

This book is a bit of a hodgepodge of chapters:

Funny chapters, which is what you probably are looking for:
-All Girls Must Be Everything ("And from that day forward, women embraced their diversity and realized that all shapes and sizes are beautiful. Ah ha ha. No. I'm totally messing with you.")
-That's Don Fey ("Don Fey is a Goldwater Republican, which is his only option.")
-Amazing, Gorgeous, Not Like That ("Your work is what you really care about because your work is your craft and your craft is your art and photo shoots are THE FUNNEST!")
-The Mother's Prayer for Its Daughter ("May she be Beautiful but not Damaged, for it's the Damage that draws the creepy soccer coach's eye, not the Beauty.")
-back cover ("Totally worth it." -Trees)

Interesting chapters, descriptive of Fey's time at SNL and 30 Rock and as Palin:
-A Childhood Dream, Realized
-30 Rock: An Experiment to Confuse Your Grandparents
-Sarah, Oprah, and Captain Hook

Honest chapters, which are great:
-I Don't Care If You Like It
-There's a Drunk Midget in My House
-Juggle This

And there are chapters that are so-so, which is to be expected from someone who isn't an author full-time.

So, I liked the book. What I don't like are reviews that claim Fey is whiny or under-appreciative or over-privileged. Through the humor, you can tell Fey is just a bit jaded from stereotypes of women (not funny; worth directly correlated to looks; not a good mother if you don't ___ [stay at home; breast-feed; bake your kids pirate cakes; stay successful at work; know where your meat came from; know where your kids' toys are from (China); know how much lead is in your kids' toys from China; do all of the above + yoga]). And obviously they still persist. I can hardly keep myself afloat, so I myself can't imagine trying to pull off a show like 30 Rock AND raise a child. And write a book. I'm sure the men who have criticized her are too busy sitting on a couch watching 30 Rock to figure out the logistics.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bossypants.