Paula's Reviews > Sybil: The Classic True Story of a Woman Possessed by Sixteen Personalities

Sybil by Flora Rheta Schreiber

3720054
Apr 16, 15

Read from June 30 to July 04, 2011

The Story ~

Sybil is the true story of Sybil Dorsett (a pseudonym for Shirley Ardell Mason) who had Dissociative identity disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder). Sybil due to the trauma of her childhood created sixteen personalities (including her own), three of the personalities were created by two of the prominent personalities. The story explores the reasons why Sybil created the personalities and her road to integration of all of the personalities

What I thought of 'Sybil'~

I have seen one person with Dissociative identity disorder and it has always interested me as to the reasons why it happens. This book is incredibly insightful, Sybil's life from birth was traumatic, she experienced cruelty at the hands of her own Mother and the only way she could cope was to create different personalities to protect herself. Sybil was also let down badly by the people around her, her Mother's cruelty and her Father's blatant ignorance to what was happening to his daughter.

There has been questions raised about Sybil's story, there are various theories that it was a hoax, that Sybil's psychiatrist lied about Sybil's diagnosis and Sybil was suffering from hysteria, whether Sybil's story is true or not, you will feel sadness for her.

I enjoyed the book but found it hard going to read, I had to stop a few stops to get my head around certain things.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sybil.