Tam's Reviews > Dreaming Sparta

2620907
Jun 30, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, historicals, m-m
Read in June, 2011

This story follows an interesting premise, of two souls forever connected, soul mates I suppose, and the parallel lives they lead through time. The story parallels two couples, Demetrios and his older lover/mentor Andreas, who live in Ancient Greece and are Spartan soldiers, and Demetrius and Andrew. who are college students and neighborhood friends.

The first interaction between Demetrios and Andrew, happens when Demetrios goes off to lick his wounds because Andreas is getting married (as is expected and the norm) and Demetrios is jealous. He comes across Andrew who has never admitted to gay leanings, but both men are instantly attracted to each other. When Andrew awakes he thinks it was just a dream, however it happens again, and later in the story, Demetrios makes a trip to modern times, which was quite amusing as he’s fascinated by modern technology.

There are parallels in that Andreas’ future wife is determined that she will not sit at home and wait for his man while he has a relationship with his trainee, and she’s not shy about telling Demetrios to get used to it. And when Andrew’s parents, who are conservative family values people, catch him and Demetrius in bed together, they threatens to toss him out of the house. So there are parallels to life, and also some case for “the grass is always greener” to crop up as both men experience the other’s time.

As I said, an interesting premise, and as I have studied ancient Greece, I loved the details about Sparta, and it was interesting to see that some things, like annoying parents who don’t “get it” happened 2000+ years ago as well. However I never really connected with Andrew and Demetrius, as much as Andreas and Demetrious. Maybe it was their use of language. They didn’t sound like American 19 or 20-year-old college kids. Their conversations seem more stilted, using large words and abstract concepts that felt awkward to me. As well, at the beginning of each chapter Chaos and Dreamweaver gave little intros which did explain the soul bond thing but also seemed to make a social statement about accepting your sexuality, however it was done in an ancient Grecian style I suppose, and after a while I just found myself skimming those introductory paragraphs rather than trying to twist my head around to truly understand what they said.

However, as I said, despite the niggles about the modern-day interaction and the chapter intros, I loved the Andreas/Demetrios storyline, and I would have been quite happy to see an entire story just about them, how they came to be paired up, the development of their relationship, and more about the Spartan life, and of course Andreas dealing with his shrewish wife. That I think would be an interesting story in itself. Those who like ancient Greece will appreciate this, or if you like the concept of soul mates through time.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreaming Sparta.