Emilie's Reviews > The Year We Left Home

The Year We Left Home by Jean Thompson

F 50x66
Jun 30, 11

Read in June, 2011

I don't even remember how this book ended up in my hands...I think I must have read a review on NPR about this being a hot summer read or something like that. It was a good read, but one I'm glad came from the library and not one that I bought.
As most people have mentioned, there is no plot per se, it is just the story of this family over the course of 30 years, skipping between narrators and jumping forward a couple of years each chapter. Because of this, many of the characters seem to lack depth, and some of their actions, because of this lack of depth, caused me to not like them because I didn't have the complete backstory on why these characters took these actions. I felt like both Anita and Chip had story lines that started but were not completed, and did not feel satisfied with the ending.
This would make a great book club book because of many of these unanswered questions, and the reality of the characters. It was a good read, just not a great read.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year We Left Home.