Haley's Reviews > The Whole-Brain Path to Peace: The Role of Left- and Right-Brain Dominance in the Polarization and Reunification of America

The Whole-Brain Path to Peace by James   Olson

Aug 23, 11

did not like it
bookshelves: first-reads
Read in August, 2011

Note: I won a free copy of this book via goodreads giveaways.

When I read the information blurb on this book, I had expectations similar to some other readers. I expected a book that used, as a foundation, neuroscience or psychology to argue its points. I think a less misleading title/blurb would have talked about the application of religious beliefs with the occasional tidbits of neuroscience/psychology woven in. Additionally, as a slight aside, the tidbits were often presented in a somewhat questionable manner. From my perspective (having majored in Neurobiology in undergrad and currently being in the process of acquiring a medical doctorate)there were some issues with the way the author interpreted and utilized the sparse medical facts he decided to incorporate.

Sometimes, a book being different from your expectations ends up being a pleasant surprise. It's rather fun to read a thought provoking book that you otherwise would never have even picked up. Unfortunately, that was not the case with this book. The writing was repetitive and, frankly, uninteresting. I was bored within the first 20-some pages. That did not bode well, as the first section in a book like this has the primary purpose of giving you a preview of what is to come. The most I can say for it is that those 20-some pages definitely gave me an accurate preview- a preview of utter boredom. I had to force myself to finish this book. By the middle, I was getting more excited about studying than I was about my 'pleasure' reading time during which I had to pick this book up. By the end, I was counting down the pages I had left to read before I could complain about it in a review (which I have now inflicted upon you poor souls).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Whole-Brain Path to Peace.