Kirsty (overflowing library)'s Reviews > Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Jun 30, 2011

bookshelves: review-books, signed
Read from July 28 to 31, 2011

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is probably one of the most original books I have read this year and a gripping read. I was hooked from page one and didn't want it to end.

At the start of the book you meet the main character Karou. I loved her as a character. She is a mysterious 17 year old art student with crazy blue hair and the ability to do magical things alongside a hidden life which she hides from her friends. Also her background is very mysterious as even she doesn't quite know where she came from or who she actually is. I loved her general quikiness and how she stood up for herself and how she dealt with all the weird and wonderful things thrown at her on a daily basis.

The world created in this book is so uniquely strange and whilst uncomparable if I were to compare it I would point at Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials world. That's not to say it is anything like it but it is similiar is how the world is like our own but totally not because of all the different things going on. I loved all the crazy little details that were thrown in and just enjoyed learning about what Karou's world was like as the description was done so beautifully.

The main plot the runs throughout this book is Karou's quest (not sure that is entirely the right word) to find out who she actually is which is spurred on when her foster family are attacked and disappear and the mysterious portals she slip through to other parts of the world are closed. She finds herself being hunted down and through this meets Akiva who is the person who finally unfolds the truth about who she actually is. At this point in the book when the twist was reveals I was literally unable to put the book down and had to stay up later until I have devoured every page. It is done so brilliantly and explains an awful lot of what has gone on and questions that were raised throughout the book. I won't tell you more because I don't want to spoil it for everyone.

The book ends on a excrutiating cliff hanger which left me desperate for more. Definitely one of the best books I have read this year which builds up a world which absorbs you in and keeps you hooked from page one.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of Smoke and Bone.