[ A ]'s Reviews > White Night

White Night by Jim Butcher

Jul 19, 11

bookshelves: 2011, detective, fantasy, mystery, owned-by-marcus, read-but-not-owned, urban-fantasy, vampires
Read from June 29 to July 11, 2011, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Someone is killing female practitioners in Chicago, and it sure as hell looks like it might be Thomas, Harry's White Court vampire half-brother. Or wait, could the gray-cloaked figure be Harry? (These women and others seem to think so!) As we know from previous Dresden Files novels, things are not always as they seem. Harry gets involved, and things quickly become even more complicated.

- Harry pretending to be Thomas's gay lover was hilarious. Ah, the things we do for family.

- Thomas, of course, is quite involved. But he's one of the Good Guys-- he has been trying to get to these women to save them, before the real killer(s?) can.

- Mouse plays a bit larger role in this novel, and we learn more about his Temple Dog status and powers (such as his bark, capable of carrying for miles, which he uses to save an apartment full of people from a fire).

- White Court vs. White Court -- this time, it's a power struggle between White Court families (Raith and Malvora). And on top of that, it looks like the necromancer Cowl may be deeply involved as well.

- We see four different styles of magic being used in this novel. Harry, Elaine, Ramirez, and Molly all have their own unique way of interacting with magic and it was interesting to see all four styles playing off of each other.

- The huge duel/battle in the Deeps at the Raith estate was awesome. I wasn't sure how this would play out, but it was quite epic. The duel between Harry & Ramirez and Magridgal & Vittorio was exciting and pretty action-packed. I did NOT expect the ghouls, nor did I expect Marcone, Thomas, and Murphy to bring in the cavalry though the Nevernever. WOW! What a scene.

- Thomas as a hair stylist! Haha! This was a very amusing scene. It makes perfect sense though, and really is the best solution for him with regard to having to feed. He doesn't have to kill women in order to remain fully sated.

- The ending scene, where Harry realize his "Lash" has left him was simply heartbreaking. I was somewhat looking forward to the idea that "she" might stick around as her own "self" after her discussion about free will with Harry... but it doesn't look that way. How lonely, for someone who has had her companionship for such a long time now (even if it was unwilling). I think Harry is going to have a bit of a hard time not having her around, if only because he won't have an instant translation service!

- No mention of the 3rd Holy Sword in this book... I really am curious about it! Will we find out in any of the currently published books?

Overall, another enjoyable Dresden Files read. It's fluff and it's fun! I will say that I have a hard time differentiating between each novel, however... especially these last few where there's no real "theme" like some of their earlier ones. We have a lot of vampire action, a lot of faerie action, and a war that seem to run throughout.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Night.

06/29/2011 page 32