Bookaholics's Reviews > In the Heat of the Bite

Jun 29, 11

In the Heat of the Bite by Lydia Dare
Paranormal Romance –July 1st, 2011
4 stars

Rhiannon Sinclair is a weather witch with her fiery Scottish temper. When she loses control, storms soon follow. She is angry when she discovers that her younger sister, Ginny has been kidnapped by her nasty aunt to London. Rhiannon rides to the rescue only to find her sister wants to stay with her aunt for her aunt has promised Ginny a London season. But Rhiannon is suspicious of an aunt who was never been kind to either of them. When she finds herself in the company of a dangerous and attractive vampire named Matthew Halkett, her first impression is to stay away. However, his beauty and chivalry attracts her. When she discovers that being in his company increases her standing in society and makes her social climbing aunt warm up to her, she concocts a plan. With Matthew’s help, she will be able to get close to her sister, and so she asks him to ‘pretend’ to court her. But what happens when she want the courtship to turn real?

This was a lively romp. Readers who love this series of sassy, Scottish witches will enjoy this latest installment. Matthew is an absolutely gorgeous and chivalrous hero. In comparison, Rhiannon does seem immature and a bit too impulsive at times. I liked the storyline and the fascinating secondary characters especially the newly turn vampire, Alec MacQuarrie, the scheming Duchess and the powerful vampire Callista. I hope the next book will feature Alec MacQuarrie and the young nature sprite Sorcha. However, I did find the heavy Scottish accent distracting. I will cross my finger that after the next book featuring Sorcha (?!) that the author will return to heroines with a milder accent.

Fun, charming and easy to read, this is a series to lighten your day.

Reviewed by Steph from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Heat of the Bite.