Charles's Reviews > Anthem

Anthem by Ayn Rand

Mar 12, 12

bookshelves: dads-collection, 2012, masterpieces, favorites
Read on March 11, 2012, read count: 1

Initially when looking at reviews online and such I found many mixed reviews that some liked it and others loved this book. At first I was quite hesitant to read this book because I might not like the book or find Rand's work unimportant for today's world. I found it to be just the opposite, I actually loved this book, there might have been some small parts that I didn't understand but for the most part I enjoyed this book.

I read this in one setting, which was quite nice. I think there are groups or societies and maybe people(?) that, in a way, are depicted in Anthem, that if you try to challenge their values they may attack you in some form or another. In other words you can take the 'we', that is consistent through out the book, and place some group/organization/society/etc. as the 'we'. It may not apply to every thing you substitute as the 'we' but I think you get the idea.

I got quite a bit out of reading this short novel. It even made me think for some time after reading about the ideas and themes and how to apply them to today's world.

I hope Rand's work in Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged is as good or even better than Anthem because I plan on reading them some time soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anthem.