Mitch's Reviews > The Good Thief

The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti

Jun 29, 11

When I began "The Good Thief" by Hannah Tinti I expected it to live up to the rave reviews and was hoping for a comeback of the Dickens style of novel. And because this book didn't live up to those expectations I was forced to give it a basic 3 stars.

The following may or may not contain spoilers.

The story is about a one-handed boy named Ren who has lived his life in an orphan home for boys wondering about his origins. Then one day a handsome stranger named Benjamin arrives claiming to be Ren's brother, taking him out of the orphan home. As the two travel, Ren discovers that Benjamin is not actually his brother but a thief hunting for a child to help him with his dastardly needs. Along with burly schoolteacher Tom, Ren and Benjamin go town to town grave robbing and selling the proceeds: jewelry, teeth, even whole bodies! Along with a crazy cast of characters including a risen from the dead murderer, a deaf landlady, a dwarf who lives on a rooftop, a harelip, and more Ren discovers the history of his babyhood and much much more!

I was very excited at the first 50 or so pages of this book, I thought it was unique and fun. But then it took some bizzare turns. This made the book pretty unbelievable and although some of the charaters were loveable, some of the situations made me scoff. Overall I'd say it had a mix of either fantastic moments, or cringe-worthy parts that made it seem like it was trying to be a book that it isn't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Thief.