Auntee's Reviews > Veil of Night

Veil of Night by Linda Howard

Jun 29, 2011

bookshelves: linda-howard, romantic-suspense, 2011_reads
Recommended for: Fans of LH: fans of romantic suspense with a lot of humorous dialogue
Read from July 21 to 23, 2011

Jaclyn Wilde is an attractive, busy, successful wedding planner in Hopewell, an Atlanta suburb. Eric Wilder (funny, huh?) is a 35-year-old police detective in Hopewell. Eric and Jaclyn first meet when she literally bumps into him at city hall (while paying a speeding ticket). They share a few words and some admiring glances (he likes her 'world class' legs and classy looks, she likes his rugged sex appeal). Later after a very hellish day dealing with Carrie Edwards, a 'bridezilla' client, Jaclyn stops off at a neighborhood pub to have a drink. Guess who's also at the bar, nursing a beer? That's right, the darkly handsome detective. Jaclyn has been so busy with her career, she hasn't had time to think about men, nor does she trust her judgment after her own marriage died a quick death. But boy oh boy, if she did have the time, Eric would be the one she'd consider making time with. The attraction is there for Eric too--but does he want another relationship after his failed marriage? Eric decides to makes a move, they do some flirty talking, and Jaclyn agrees to let Eric call her after her busy week of six weddings in five days is over. But when Jaclyn goes home with plans to unwind and watch some HGTV, she gets a phone call: "I don't want to wait a week. Invite me over."

Eric...
Photobucket
Holy hell, they have an intense, sexy coupling...*whew* Maybe this has the potential for a relationship? But then Jaclyn's client Carrie is murdered, Eric is the lead detective on the case, and it looks like Jaclyn is initially the prime suspect. There goes any future Eric and Jaclyn might have. Eric's only doing his job, he doesn't really think that Jacyln's the murderer, but Jaclyn is miffed that he would even suspect her! Plenty of people have had dust-ups with obnoxious bride-to-be Carrie, but who wanted to see her dead? That's what Eric has to figure out, and Jaclyn may be able to help him. But will what she knows make her a target for the killer? Will Jaclyn ever forgive Eric and give him another chance?

I loved this story! It was part sexy romance, part who-done-it, with lots of humor (Eric's fruitless quest for a cup of coffee provided some laughs) and humorous dialogue thrown into the mix. I loved reading both Jaclyn's and Eric's POVs, loved the chemistry they had, loved how Jaclyn fought her feelings for Eric because she was so mad that he considered her a suspect, loved how Eric loved it when Jaclyn got all fired up...I loved everything about their whole relationship. If only Linda Howard would've given us more bedroom scenes, because these two were smokin'...

A lot of the book went into details about what a wedding planner does (a lot of hard work!), and showcased some of the weddings that Jaclyn had booked for her busy week. Lots of humor in these chapters, and it seemed like LH had a blast writing these parts. It was fun reading, but I would've preferred more Eric and Jaclyn, because whenever their paths crossed the pages started sizzlin'.

As for the suspense? Well, I was surprised not by who the murderer was, but by who the murderer wasn't. I had a whole other scenario played out in my head, and was waiting for this twist in the story, but it wasn't to be. Hmmm, I guess I over-thought this one.:)

I know a lot of people have fallen off the Linda Howard bandwagon and have been disappointed in some of her newer releases. It's true that she doesn't seem to spend as much time on the romance aspect of the story as she used to, but boy, her storytelling skills are still there. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, even though I was longing for more romantic scenes between Eric and Jaclyn. That longing was the only complaint I had about this book though. Veil of Night thoroughly entertained me--4 1/2 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veil of Night.

07/21 page 35
9.0% "Liking it so far..."
07/21 page 114
30.0% "I would've killed that bridezilla too!" 6 comments
07/23 page 384
100.0% "Loved it!"
03/23 marked as: read

message 1: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Auntee wrote: "I know a lot of people have fallen off the Linda Howard bandwagon and have been disappointed in some of her newer releases."

Are you talking about me? LOL! Great review, Auntee. I'm almost tempted into giving this book a try.

Auntee Have you fallen off the bandwagon?:)

message 3: by Lisa Kay (last edited Jul 24, 2011 11:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay You two are funny! Great review, Auntee. My library has this on audio and it fits into a challenge... so I'll give it a try. Don't know how I missed it before, so I'm thinking you might have been talking to me. **hee hee**

Vicki Great review Auntee, I really liked this one too! :)

Pamela(AllHoney) I loved it too. Poor Eric and his quest for coffee. He couldn't catch a break could he?

Auntee Thanks ladies!
Give it a try, Lisa Kay!
LH skimped a little on the romance, but what she gave us was certainly hot!
Yes--Eric and his quest for coffee--some of the funniest moments in the book.:)

Amar I liked this one too, back to her old style of writing a la Mr Perfect etc....I liked Burn too from the year before but she really skimped on the hot love scenes I love from her!

Auntee I agree about the skimping--just as things were getting really hot she slammed the bedroom door!:(
Still enjoy her writing though...

Amar Exactly Auntee, she was never a 'door slammer' type, wonder why she switched...still run to the store to get her new releases though!

message 10: by Amar (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amar Oh and the young Tom Berenger is a great choice for Eric!!

Auntee Yeah, he sort of has that 'cop' vibe...:)

Lisa Kay Hey, you added a pic! I like! BTW, I liked Burn by Linda Howard - thought I was the only one.

message 13: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Auntee wrote: "Have you fallen off the bandwagon?:)
I know this can't compare to some of her greatest, but it kept me glued to it. Just wished she could've given us a little bit more..."

Yes, I have. I still love her oldies but I'm not eager to read her new releases. Having the bedroom door slammed in my face isn't a great incentive either.

message 14: by Martha (new)

Martha Great review, Auntee! I think I'll be keeping my eyes open for this one!

Auntee I need to get a hold of "Burn"--I forgot about that one. I still have Death Angel to read.:)

Dina, it wasn't exactly slammed--I shouldn't have said that. It just didn't go into as much detail as I would've liked.:)

Thanks Martha.:)

message 16: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Super review, Auntee! What are some of your oldies of LH that you like?

message 17: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Nice review Auntee! I am still scared it won't live up to her awesome oldies. I have been on a reread jag of her books recently with Midnight Rainbow, Diamond Bay, White Lies, Dream Man and Open Season. I am about to start Mr. Perfect and may follow that with Kill and Tell and Heart of Fire. Love these oldies!

message 18: by Auntee (last edited Jul 24, 2011 09:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Auntee Thanks Ally and Melissa!
No way can it compare to her great oldies, but...against some of the stuff that's out there now? Definitely. She'd have a hard time topping some of her old stuff, ya know? Everything else is still there with her writing, she just skimps a little now when it comes to the romance. It's like she's trying to become more mainstream...

Ally, my fav oldie would have to be Cry No More--an awesome book.
I also like Dying to Please, Mackenzie's Mountain, Heart of Fire, Duncan's Bride, Diamond Bay, Mr. Perfect, Open Season...I could go on and on, but these stick out in my mind.:)

Melissa, I would love to do some rereads of her oldies...that would be heavenly!

message 19: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Thanks Auntee...I have all of those in my TBR pile except for Diamond Bay...I will add that one too!!!

Auntee Ooh, you've got lots of good reading to look forward to!:)

message 21: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Hugs Auntee...I can't wait! I have read Open Season, Shades Of Twilight, Mr. Perfect, and After the Night...I LOVED them!!!

message 22: by Elizabeth (Liz) (new)

Elizabeth (Liz) May I add to your list, Ally? I *adore* the old Linda Howard books!! If you like the ones you have, I think you'd also love the following: Dream Man, After the Night, Kill and Tell, All the Queen's Men, Shades of Twilight, Mackenzie's Mission (which was the first book I ever read by her---LOVE), A Game of Chance, Heartbreaker, White Lies, Mackenzie's Pleasure, Loving Evangeline, and Midnight Rainbow. If you like western historical romances, the few westerns she wrote are wonderful, IMO. LOL!! I know that's a big ol' list, but her old books are why I started reading in the first place:) One day, when I have access to my books again, I'm going to re-read all my LH favorites and just wallow in them;)!! Hope you'll give some of these a chance!

message 23: by Ally72 (last edited Jul 25, 2011 01:08AM) (new)

Ally72 LOL! Thanks for the wonderful suggestions, Elizabeth!

message 24: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Jul 25, 2011 03:50AM) (new) - added it

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Auntee! Love your pic of Tom Berenger. ^_^

Auntee wrote: "I still have Death Angel to read.:)"

Death Angel is the most recent book I've read by LH and it started off with a... HOLY SMOKIN ASSASSIN! ^_^ But then...it sorta lost momentum in the middle, for me. I liked it, but I didn't love it.

You know what? I've only recently seen mention of the love of her "oldies" Midnight Rainbow, Diamond Bay and White Lies! I haven't heard of or read those! My fave LH are Mr. Perfect, Open Season, the Mackenzie books, Now You See Her, Kill and Tell, All The Queen's Men, Dream Man and After the Night.

Auntee, because of your review, I'm going to give this one a go, bearing in mind that it isn't like her good old stuff! Thanks for your review! ^_^

message 25: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB My fav LH's are: Makenzie series (especially Mackenzie's Mountain and Mackenzie's Pleasure), Dream Man, Midnight Rainbow, Diamond Bay (both just rereleased together as Trouble), White Lies, After the Night, Kill and Tell, Heart of Fire, Open Season, Mr. Perfect and Now You See Her.

message 26: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Jul 25, 2011 04:04AM) (new) - added it

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* MelissaB wrote: "Midnight Rainbow, Diamond Bay (both just rereleased together as Trouble)"

THANK YOU, for mentioning that, MelissaB! I was just looking at ordering those on the BD and they are soo expensive!! They are ~AUD$30 each for a hardback of them!! So, thank you so much for mentioning Trouble, Melissa!

message 27: by MelissaB (last edited Jul 25, 2011 03:59AM) (new)

MelissaB You're welcome Lady Jayne! I bought it even though I already own the other two :)

The Mackenzie books were also bundled recently

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* What about Heartbreaker and White Lies? Do you know if those were re-released, Melissa?

When I bought my Mackenzie books, they were bundled into The Mackenzies: Mackenzie's Mountain and Mackenzie's; The Mackenzie Family: Mackenzie's Pleasure and Mackenzie's Magic; and A Game of Chance, on its own. The covers had a tartan background with a NA beadwork border and gold horses running on the top.

message 29: by Auntee (last edited Jul 25, 2011 04:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Auntee Thanks LJ, by all means give it a try. I have yet to read a "bad" book by Linda Howard, but of course there are those that I enjoyed more than others.

Heartbreaker was the one that started it off for me--after that book, I had to read all the LH's I could get my hands on!
The trio you mentioned that you haven't read? All good, IMO!

Thanks for the heads up on "Death Angel". I'll know not to have high expectations--sometimes that helps!

message 30: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB They released newer versions of the Mackenzie bundle in the last few years, they are paperback size.

I don't think they have rereleased Heartbreaker and White Lies. They are available used, hopefully these get made into ebooks!

message 31: by Amar (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amar Me too, loved Heartbreaker and White Lies...have reread dog eared copies of them from the library so many times :-))

Auntee, I loved Death Angel throughout and really recommend it...yes the middle of the book is different but I just think it was necessary for the characters to grow...and although there is a bit of bedroom door slamming in this one too, the chemistry and overall romance between the assassin and heroine is so strong, I didn't feel anything missing...just loved this book!!

Lisa Kay Good to know I'm not the only one who liked Death Angel by Linda Howard. But then, I kind of knew what I was getting when I started it as someone told me it had a little bit of a supernatural aspect to it.

I'll keep you posted on if the audio of Veil of Night A Novel by Linda Howard is narrated well.

message 33: by Amar (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amar Lisa, the 'supernatural' stuff is usually a turnoff for me but in DA it was so well done and believable, I didn't mind it at all.

Lisa Kay Amar, I'm not big on a sudden switch in genre; but I knew this one was coming, so I think that is why it didn't bother me like it has done in other books.

Tammy Awesome review! I'm sold. Definitely going to download this one soon. :)

Lady Heather Wonderful review, Auntee!

Auntee Thanks LH!:)