Laurel's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: dystopian, why, um-what, that-cover-unf, the-hell-was-this, ya, damn-love-traingles, plot-was-on-vacation, structure-whats-that
Recommended to Laurel by: My eyes
Recommended for: People who enjoy love triangles I guess

The fart was this? I just...the FART WAS THIS?!

That beautiful cover is mean. It drew me right in with its pretty lime green bubble bait of death. Can't help wanting to have some of my favorite color on my reading shelf. Hnnnnng. It said, "READ ME OR I WILL MURDER YOU FAMILY." And I bought it so it'd stop glaring at me in the teeny-bopper section of B&N.

I opened Matched, and snails came at me with their shells and antennae of slime and grime and chime and dime. SNAILS EVERYWHERE. I couldn't move, I couldn't breathe, I was forced to understand things that weren't first explained! It was horrible I tell you!

Matched tells the story of Cassia Reyes, robot extraordinaire, who lives in this nameless City run by the Society. It has a Hill, an Arboretum, and Outer Provinces, and special 'emergency tablets', but don't worry, they're not dove into right away, so you're supposed to know all about this place right the fuck away. Thankfully, Cassia finds it necessary to tell us about this Matching ceremony that binds people together for life (but teens have flings anyway so how is this Matching accurate?). Then Cassia gets her Match: her bff, Xander Carrow, cool kid, the best of the best. She goes "Yay!" But then, a NEW FACE APPEARS! SHIT. It's this kid that she knows named Ky Markham, who's an Aberration, you know, people who's parents got an Infraction and now the kids are screwed too or something. Whatever, forbidden love all around! Take it in folks! But Cassia simply must know why the Society fudged up, and thus says, "Looks like it's up to ME!"

Let's burn this little suckah down to the GROUND WHERE IT BELONGS:

Writing. I will give a nod to Ally Condie for not completely fucking up the style in this book. There was some nice prose, especially with the scenes with Ky and Cassia writing poetry while hiking. OH BUT WAIT, we discuss later in this book that even though these citzens can read and operate computers, they can't write. Someone tells me how that makes sense and I'll give them a cookie or something. Until then, fook that noise.

Another point on the writing was the pacing. The snail pace of Matched was the exact reason why I ran to Vladdy Tod, said "HOLD ME SWEET LORD", finished it in a day, cried my heart out figuratively, then stumbled back into this mess. There was nothing exciting going on in this book. I'll give a bone to Condie for providing some nice romantic scenes and one scene where I actually had a small sense of grief, but everything else was robotic, plain, and uninteresting. Even good old Robot Jones had more personality than most characters in the beginning of this novel.

SPEAKING OF CHARACTERS WHO ARE ROBOTIC, how about that Cassia Reyes? Or hell, the entire Reyes family? Molly and Abran Reyes are just drones to the Society in the beginning. Mr. Reyes gets better later on, and even Cassia does, too. I mean, she even makes strong, good decisions. STUNNING INDEED! Bram was adorable though, I'll give Condie that too.

Xander and Ky were the two dudes in this pain-stakingly unnecessary love triangle, but then again, what is YA without one right? It must be some new required rule that I could give less than a fuck about. Moving on, the good thing (the ONLY good thing) is that both of these guys aren't abusive, douchey, lust-filled, or cocky. They are normal guy friends with Cassia and THANK YOU LORD FOR BLESSING ME THAT MUCH. Sadly, the need for this love triangle is never seen to me. I just see that forbidden love nonsense and another boy is hopelessly in the way.

Xander teased Cassia in a best friend way, he was nice and smart and tried to live in the Society with no problems. He never wanted anything bad or maddening to happen; he just wanted the ordinary life of being Matched. But no, Cassia couldn't have that. So she sneaks around with Ky.

But it's with Ky that she can actually evolve from a robot into a real girl! Ky is a rare catch cause he can write! He likes poetry! I bet he plays guitar and sings songs in the forbidden lands that are mentioned once and never again. Ky is a good character. He's not trying to get Cassia to fall for him, and he has a nice personality.

Ms. Robot remained just that all throughout this book except for the times she was with Ky. Ky saved her from my strangles. She should be lucky. But again, when she does develop, she is a good character. She is strong, she does what is right when she has to. And shockingly enough:
She's not an idiot!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
That may take a few seconds to sink in...but I'll wait...

So what blew this up for me? What killed this book? Le structure. There is close to nothing. Structure is nearly dead. It was horrifying and I wished the snails holding me to this book would at least grant me a half-assed story with the somewhat nice characters made by Condie. But no, I was not given that.

If there was anything set up correctly in this book I would be alright with things happening the way they were. BUT THERE WAS NO CLIMAX. NOTHING THAT DROVE THIS ENTIRE BOOK OTHER THAN CASSIA'S RELATIONSHIP WITH KY. Sure, it was cute, but there has to be a bigger story than romance. This is dystopian, gimme GODDAMN-FUCKING-DYSTOPIAN. This is why I can't handle those fucking triangles. Even a square would be more entertaining for Boba Fett's sake. And the antagonists...where were they?

"The whole Society is the antagonist! Doy! :B" No no no, I'm talking about that ONE ROADBLOCK that means to drive Cassia into Hell, preferably on a motorcycle HAHAHAHA, I'm not funny. There is that one person who drives to destroy Cassia's hopes and dreams and gigglesnort the hell out of it later. Now that character does exist, but I think Condie had a tough time with names or something. This lady was a single Official, one that bothered the shit out of Cassia. What was her name, you ask?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
THERE WASN'T ONE. SHE WAS NO NAME. Ol' No Name.

How. What. KSJDBfLKJSBDGKLA.
She actually has a name. Courtesy of commenter Alejandra, her name was Officer Standler, which is mentioned once and only once. But Who's the real antagonist? The ACTUAL ONE? It's not Cassia vs. the entire fucking Society, is it? Jesus fuck, that doesn't make ANY SENSE.

They shouldn't be trusted, I got that, but how can we tell if the Society wants Cassia dead or whatever when we don't even know the head honcho of the Society? Or why there's an Official for EVERY PERSON LIVING. That's like saying there's a soldier for every citizen in the United States. WE DON'T KNOW. WE HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE. CONDIE AIN'T TELLING. Give us a mention or something. I need to know things.

Brings me to that anti-climactic ending. Cassia moves on with her life (view spoiler). Xander, though he's still upset for Cassia being in love with Ky and NOT in love with him, gives Cassia all these blue tablets that'll help her on her journey. This ending was trying to be cliffhanger-like and whimsical or something, but it just sat on the front porch and farted. It did nothing. The book cut off so hard, I called shenanigans. I wish so hard that a climax would at least exist SOMEWHERE.

I just...ugh...I am disappointed in this book because it DID give me hope in some areas, but this it just pooped out. It lost the little bit of steam it had. I don't want to read Crossed, but I do wanna see what happens to Ky, because Ky is the only reason. Ky is the second star in this review. He knows where it's at.

I guess I should mention that this entire world isn't even that original. I haven't read it myself, but I heard from enough reviewers that this is strikingly similar to Lois Lowry's The Giver. Fuck you then, Condie, for lack of originality. It sickens me when people just can't THINK of anything themselves! GJNSDAKG:LJBNASLKJBGAKLSJFNGD:KAGS

EDIT:
OH HEY, so my dad told me about the movie Logan's Run, where everyone has a gemstone in there hand and it blinks when you turn 30, where you are then killed. YEAH. THAT'S RIGHT. Well Condie, let's all poison every old person who reaches 80. I SEE WHAT YOU FUCKING DID THERE. Goddammit can originality PLEASE COME BACK TO YA?!?!?!

I'm gonna get a book can will actually satisfy my needs. Twelfth Grade Kills, The Unwanteds, I'm looking at you longingly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.

09/27/2011 page 1
0.0% "Finished Perchance to Dream, and here I am...reading another book with a love triangle. Why am I doing this to myself?"
09/27/2011 page 6
2.0% "And...what do these emergency tablets represent?" 1 comment
09/27/2011 page 9
2.0% "Why...is plainclothes one word? Typo?"
09/27/2011 page 18
5.0% "Well! That was rather simple."
09/28/2011 page 22
6.0% "Can't say that I really care about what's happening yet."
09/28/2011 page 29
8.0% "Just...100 of everything? That's so limited."
09/28/2011 page 31
8.0% "Oh my gooood everyone's a robot except Bram. I don't like follow Terminators! Gimme a smile or something!"
09/28/2011 page 35
9.0% "...Normally, I'd be more concerned if, say, my family members were tailors and I was assigned to be a lumberjack. Cassia is excited about Xander, why the hell does this Match flicker change EVERYTHING SHE EVER KNEW EVER?"
09/28/2011 page 38
10.0% "Of course Xander is the best of them all. Of course! OF. COURSE."
09/28/2011 page 45
12.0% ""The confusion leaves me and I finally, finally, finally can relax." Um...when were you freaking out, Cassia? You were a little concerned, but not ready-to-rip-out-your-heart-from-the-sheer-thought-of-it concerned. Stop being a robot."
09/28/2011 page 47
12.0% "Not too shabby on class separation, though it's explained just enough that it's a bad idea and will lead to a big clusterfuck sooner or later."
09/28/2011 page 49
13.0% "Yes, tell your Grandpa who's dying tomorrow about your boy troubles." 9 comments
09/29/2011 page 60
16.0% "AHAHAHA Grandfather being into boy troubles. Willikers." 3 comments
09/29/2011 page 61
16.0% "THANK YOU Grandpa. All right, I feel a little better about this now."
09/29/2011 page 68
18.0% "CASSIA HAS EMOTIONS! Wonderful!" 3 comments
09/29/2011 page 72
19.0% "Just a thought: Condie hasn't stated where this Society is or how it showed up. Everything's just: the Society, the City, the Hill...not very creative." 2 comments
09/30/2011 page 73
19.0% "Way to be an individual, Grandfather. I'm kinda bummed that you'll be gone in a few pages. Hopefully Cassia will MATCH your awesomeness at some point. AHAHA I'm not funny." 3 comments
09/30/2011 page 75
20.0% ""I'm glad that Grandfather has qualified to have a tissue sample frozen. Now, for him, death may not necessary be the end. Someday, the Society will figure out a way to bring us back." Okay, that is a pretty sweet goal. Do we get to dive deeper into that resurrection research?"
09/30/2011 page 77
20.0% "Grandfather rocks! Choosing his final meal to consist of cake, pudding and cookies. God, Condie, and you give him more development NOW when he's approaching death. Pssh."
09/30/2011 page 83
22.0% "Ahhh the Wise Old Man archetype. How'd I miss it."
10/01/2011 page 87
23.0% "Thank you, Xander, for being a real friend and not some lust-filled douche."
10/01/2011 page 92
24.0% "Cassia is kind of growing on me, but I still don't care about anyone in this book."
10/01/2011 page 126
33.0% "Okay, Cassia isn't too bad. She certainly hasn't been Mary Sue so far. Plus, she actually has some determination about her. The plot is finally starting, too...at least I think."
10/02/2011 page 128
33.0% "A slap to the face to whoever said third-person was less emotional than first-person. I come back to this from reading 3rd person Vladdy Tod, and I am bored to tears by this first-person present. JESUS FUCK CAN SOMETHING CLIMACTIC HAPPEN ALREADY?"
10/02/2011 page 133
35.0% ""Even Norah becomes animated as she describes it to me at her desk." WOW! Even Norah? OH MY GOSH NORAH, TOO?..........who the fuck is Norah?" 1 comment
10/02/2011 page 137
36.0% "Cassia's Dad: Cool. Cassia: Can actually be angry."
10/02/2011 page 140
36.0% "I'd care about your failure at friendship, Cassia, if I had more development on Em."
10/02/2011 page 142
37.0% "I'm not understanding Cassia's mannerisms. She JUST said that she and Em were drifting apart, and now she's giving her precious compact artifact to her for her Banquet? I don't get it!"
10/02/2011 page 152
40.0% "Okay I can kinda see why Cassia's digging Ky a lil' bit. He's pretty down to earth, hell both he and Xander are okay."
10/02/2011 page 158
41.0% "Ohh that got me."
10/02/2011 page 164
43.0% "OH MY GOSH THEIR MATCH ISN'T PERFECT. *sigh* There are GOING to be things that bring up disagreement. Fffffff"
10/02/2011 page 171
45.0% "WOAH WOAH WAIT. They can read but they can't write? AT ALL?"
10/02/2011 page 174
45.0% "Not gonna lie, that was a nice scene between Cassia and Ky."
10/02/2011 page 185
48.0% "You know, I'd enjoy this more if this wasn't a love triangle, if it was Ky and Cassia and Xander was the unknowing antagonist. He wouldn't try to rip them apart, but he'd be in the way, like the antagonist role is supposed to be. That'd make for a better plot."
10/02/2011 page 192
50.0% "And I'm halfway done and I'm on my way, but I'm feeling, feeling, feeling dismay. Cause I'm halfway in; this book takes too long, but I'm halfway done, I'm HALFWAY DOOOOONE! Oh-o-o Oh-o-o."
10/02/2011 page 220
57.0% "There are a few gem scenes in this, but it's SOOOOOO SLOW-MOVING. Merrrf."
10/02/2011 page 232
60.0% "*snoooooooooooooooooore*"
10/03/2011 page 236
61.0% "HEY-OH Greek Myth reference! THANK GOD it is done correctly."
10/03/2011 page 238
62.0% "Cassia....Cassia can tell the difference between being IN love and loving someone?! OH MY GOSH, CASSIA. *cling*"
10/03/2011 page 245
64.0% "Woah, good point, Cassia. You may still be a bit robotic but you've got a good head on your shoulders."
10/03/2011 page 254
66.0% "I just realized that I have no idea WHO her parents are. We don't get their names, but we get Ky's parents..."
10/03/2011 page 275
72.0% "D'awww, that is super precious. HOW CAN there be a love triangle? That isn't fair."
10/03/2011 page 301
78.0% "Wow, this is actually more exciting. Hurrah!"
10/03/2011 page 306
80.0% "OH SHIT, CASSIA! She is getting better and better. I really think she's approaching Grandfather's awesomeness level right now."
10/03/2011 page 319
83.0% "Sick 'em, Cassia! DO IT. SHOW YOUR EMOTIONS."
10/03/2011 page 340
89.0% "It's in books like these where I wish I had a fucking map. Hunger Games is guilty of this, too. Maps are awesome, guys. AWESOME."
10/03/2011 page 340
89.0% "Eradicated CANCER? Lolwut. That is a MIGHTY claim if I do say so myself. I'd love to know how."
10/03/2011 page 355
92.0% "Meerrrfff GET ON WITH IT."
10/03/2011 page 366
95.0% "Well Goodreads is off on its page numbers...I'm done! So...that climax...........and that antagonist........I don't think I missed anything in this book. Where were the climax and main antag? That one blonde official, Ol' No Name?"
10/03/2011 page 384
100.0% "Bullshit. BULLSHIT. BOVINE FECES. A PLAGUE UPON YOUR HOUSES."
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 49-98)

message 98: by John (new)

John Egbert Oooo, I have not heard many high things of this one, but the "um-what" shelf? Now it's serious...

Laurel Oh yeah. There will be snarking involved. I am severely displeased.

message 96: by John (new)

John Egbert Snarking yay!

Oh I will be awaiting this review...

Laurel Gooooood! >:]

message 94: by John (new)

John Egbert +100000000000000 FOR SPONGEBOB REFERENCE!

Ehm, I mean, nice review! When I tried picking it up it was pretty boring so I thought maybe it was just me and put it back down, but apparently that's not the case..

message 93: by John (new)

John Egbert we discuss later in this book that even though these citzens can read and operate computers, they can't write. Someone tells me how that makes sense and I'll give them a cookie or something.

It just does! Cause the author says it does!

Now can I have a cookie?

Laurel Mello wrote: " we discuss later in this book that even though these citzens can read and operate computers, they can't write. Someone tells me how that makes sense and I'll give them a cookie or something.

It ..."

I'll give ya a cookie anyway cause you're awesome. :P
*CHOCO-CHOCO-CHIP!*

message 91: by John (new)

John Egbert CHOCO CHIP HURRAY!

*muches gleefully*

(And in twenty or so minutes (depending on how long it takes to colour this thing) I'll have another addition to the doodle-bug club, ifyaknowwhatImean...and if you don't know what I mean, I don't know any other way to spell it out XD)

Laurel Mello wrote: "CHOCO CHIP HURRAY!

*muches gleefully*

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss! I will wait in my swiveling office chair. *evilly rubs hands together*

message 89: by John (new)

John Egbert You have a swiveling office chair?! *jealousy*

Larissa Haha (: this review was to funny! and cause me to re-think how I saw the book. Like the whole they can use computers but can't read thing..really? I haven't read the giver so I didn't notice the similarities. But I just learned some about it and now realize this book is just like this. Great review! (:

Laurel Larissa wrote: "Haha (: this review was to funny! and cause me to re-think how I saw the book. Like the whole they can use computers but can't read thing..really? I haven't read the giver so I didn't notice the si..."

Thank you! :D I'm always up for discussions if there was something you enjoyed that I didn't. It's nice to discuss differences of opinion!

Larissa The romance is what I liked about it ;D But it's the whole love triangle thing..hmmm. I prefer Xander xD

Laurel Larissa wrote: "The romance is what I liked about it ;D But it's the whole love triangle thing..hmmm. I prefer Xander xD"

Haha! Nice! I felt that Ky and Cassia and Ky had some great chemistry with the writing and the poetry. I definitely had to warm up to them though because after I first saw Xander and Cassia's friendship, I thought they were a cute couple too. :)

Mello wrote: "You have a swiveling office chair?! *jealousy*"

Mwahahaha! >:D

Larissa Yeah I like the whole poetry thing, one thing I find for YA love triangles is that the best guy friend always gets left in the dust D:

message 83: by John (new)

message 82: by Amber J. (new)

Amber J. two thumbs up for "pretty lime green bubble bait of death" LOL

Laurel Amber J. wrote: "two thumbs up for "pretty lime green bubble bait of death" LOL"

Haha, why thank you, Amber! :D

Aly (Fantasy4eva) When I read this a while back I remember really enjoying it. Since then, I've read so many reviews that didn't seem to like the book at all. I seriously feel like I need to give this a re -read and see if it's a different reading experience this time around.

Laurel Aly (Fantasy4eva) wrote: "When I read this a while back I remember really enjoying it. Since then, I've read so many reviews that didn't seem to like the book at all. I seriously feel like I need to give this a re -read and..."

You're free to have your own opinion as well! No one's telling you that you have to hate it or that you missed something! Who knows, maybe a reread might reveal more to you or be the same as it was when you read it.

Steph Sinclair Oh, my damn. I effin' love this review! I laughed my ass off. LOL.

My favorite part: Even a square would be more entertaining for Boba Fett's sake.

BOBA FETT!
XD

Laurel I'm glad you enjoyed! Thanks!
snd BOBA FETT FOREVER. <3

Katlyn Is that a Hades reference??? You know the book after Halo that I love reading bad reviews about.

Laurel Katlyn wrote: "Is that a Hades reference??? You know the book after Halo that I love reading bad reviews about."

Sure is! ;D

message 74: by GiGi (new) - rated it 3 stars

GiGi best review i've read so far. I agree on the part about. not knowing how did the society come to be.

the official does have a name (well, a last name, anyway) it's ms. standler.

message 73: by GiGi (new) - rated it 3 stars

GiGi oh, and her parent's names are mentioned, I thought they weren't either. They are Molly. and Abran.

I still remember because I just finished reading it today.

message 72: by GiGi (new) - rated it 3 stars

GiGi did anyone else notice that Xander's parents aren't mentioned that much or at all?

Laurel Oh okay! Thank you very much! I'll fix up my review so it's correct.

Skyla Happy Go Lucky and Lost in Books Logan's Run was originally a book which has 2 sequels (one on another planet for some reason), in the book you get to live until 21, the movie upped the age and changed the gem colours a bit. It is a bit of a campy movie but I like it.

Your review pretty much summed up what I thought while reading Matched. I'm currently rereading it so I can read Crossed.

message 69: by Alexa (new) - rated it 1 star

Alexa God, this review was so fucking great, I laughed my ass off. Especially since you pointed out the truth so well.

message 68: by Donna (new) - rated it 1 star

Donna You are a genius baby!!! DUDE I LOVE YOU. My review was a 1 star for it. As always i am a horrible reviewer with writing out my thoughts~ but you basically said everything I have in mind.

message 67: by Sen (new)

Sen I am definitely hesitating in reading this book, now O_o. . . excellent review (now following you). It's a pleasure reading it! :D

message 66: by GW (new) - rated it 2 stars

GW YES, THANK YOU. These are my thoughts exactly, and I can't agree more.

Rachel This review made me piss my pants, and I thank you for it.

message 64: by Cami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cami E. While I didn't despise the book as much as you did, I found this review VERY amusing. (:

Jamio Wow. I love this review so much. Is it bad to hope you read a lot of books you don't like so I can read reviews like this?

Angela Pham Haha I almost died laughing at your review XD

Alasia (= bahahahaha...that was amazing. BUT i think i understand why they can't write. The only letters/numbers they see are on screens or whatever. Their hands and fingers don't have the muscle memory or practice of writing letters. They can't control their hands very well, because they have never actually written before. cookie?

Emily This review was funny, thanks for the laugh :P

message 59: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome review! I agree with you in every way! The cover was so pretty but the book was so bad! When I finished the first thing I thought was, "Why did I waste my life reading this?" I'm really starting to hat YA books...

Alejandra (Lost at Hogwarts) I loved this book, but your review was hilarious. The Official did have a name though.

Laurel Alejandra wrote: "I loved this book, but your review was hilarious. The Official did have a name though."

Oh really? o-o Oh... Can you provide it by any chance? I don't have my copy on me and I'd like to change the review so it fits properly. Thank you!! :D

Alejandra (Lost at Hogwarts) It was mentioned ONCE in the entire book and I think it's just the last name: Official Standler. I liked the book, but I hated how SLOW it was. It took me longer than usual to finish it because some parts were just plain boring.

message 55: by Sariah (new) - added it

Sariah Harris OMG!!! I totally disagree with you!!!!

Laurel Sariah wrote: "OMG!!! I totally disagree with you!!!!"

And that's fine.

Bhishma I think they can read and operate a computer but can not write because the officials don't want then to write poems or stories. No one would dare type a poem or story on a computer because I figure the officials would find out because everything is monitored. Ok. Where's my cookie?

Laurel Bhishma wrote: "I think they can read and operate a computer but can not write because the officials don't want then to write poems or stories. No one would dare type a poem or story on a computer because I figure..."

*cookie is given*
That makes a lot of sense, considering the Society is monitoring all of the computers. It would certainly lead to frowning upon handwritten words.

Bhishma Also they're a fucking dystopian society in the FUTURE. why is it a surprise to you that they eradicated cancer? You don't think that people will EVER find a cure for cancer? How optimistic and might I add incredibly idiotic and offensive of you to say.... Also, if you're so bitter about a book then why the fuck are you reading it? People read books/watch movies and tv shows for ENTERTAINMENT. Not to go into EVERY. FUCKING. DETAIL. about everything? Just sit back and ENJOY the fucking book. Not point out every stupid little mistake. And if you can't STOP READING IT MAYBE? There's a thought. How about you try writing a book? Another thing, this is a YA book. Not a nonfiction filled with facts.

Laurel Bhishma wrote: "Also they're a fucking dystopian society in the FUTURE. why is it a surprise to you that they eradicated cancer? You don't think that people will EVER find a cure for cancer? How optimistic and mig..."

Whoa hey now, there's no need to twist what I say in this review. Tell me where I said cancer would never be able to have a cure, because I don't see it here. Also, YA or not, a book should at least make the information given believable in the world provided. It doesn't have to be pure scientific fact, but it should fit the world of the story.

Bhishma "eradicated CANCER? Well that's a mighty claim if I don't say so myself, I'd love to know how" updates page 340...not word for word what you said but close enough. I just felt it was really rude. All stories (books movies tv shows) have irregularities. Things that don't quite make sense or fit in the storyline or world but I don't think it's much use looking into or getting mad at little things. It was a good story. I agree, a little slow, but definitely not worth getting mad at and pointing out every mistake as you did. If you criticize a story with every detail you can't enjoy it!

« previous 1