Sandra Stiles's Reviews > The Impenetrable Spy

The Impenetrable Spy by Spencer Brokaw

Aug 03, 11

bookshelves: adult, thriller
Read from June 29 to August 03, 2011

I bought a copy of Spencer's book after reading his introduction on the Goodreads author's page. I was intrigued by his age. When I'd read he had written an adult spy thriller with a time machine thrown in I was really interested. Let me start off by saying I plan on holding his book up for my students as an example of what they can do if they want something bad enough.

I am always honest in my reviews and so I will do nothing different because of Spencers age.

I enjoyed his book very much. It has a maturity that goes beyond many writers who are already adults. The plot was believable. I had issue with only one thing. I was reading a part of the story to my husband and the characters names were used repeatedly line after line. This is not all the way through. Now that is all of the negative you will hear and I honestly believe that this problem is one that often affects a first time writer and a due little bit to the age factor. I'm sure we will see the level of writing improving with each new book. I have to believe it works that way for all first time writers including myself.

Now to the more positive side. Zach's command of language is awesome. He uses vocabulary that I would love to see more of my students use. He is great at plotting out his story. The story was well thought out and flowed quite well. He brought everything to a smooth conclusion. He created an ending that felt finished, but left the door open for the next book in the series. I follow his blog "Writing Tips from a Twelve Year Old. I was quite shocked to learn he writes the blog from his own perspective of writing. His explanations are so well thought out that I will be putting a link to his blog on my school website for parents and students to access. Students often learn better and are more willing to learn from someone their own age. He is a well rounded person when it comes to reading and writing. I enjoy discussing books with him. In that capacity the middle school teacher and blogger comes out in me and I find myself wanting to recommend all types of books to him. You really need to go to his blog to find out more about this author. His second book will be coming out in the near future. I look forward to reading it. Look out world, we will be seeing more of this young author. I just hope he inspires others as much as he has inspired me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Impenetrable Spy.

08/03/2011
100.0% "It is hard to believe this was written by a twelve year old. If I had not spent the past few weeks getting to know this fine young man and his talents I would find it difficult to believe a twelve year old could write so well. Maybe because I teach 12 year olds and I want them to write as well as Spencer. Review will be up by 8/4 at the latest." 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Spencer Brokaw Thank you Sandra! I am glad you enjoyed my book and thanks for being honest. What you might not know is that I started that book when I was ten and finished it at 11. I published it this year at 12. My second one is a lot different becasue the writing in it is newer. Thanks for the review I appreciate it a lot!

Sandra Stiles I am just very impressed. I speak to everyone about your book.

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Puddle Spencer, you're an inspiration to other children.

Sandra, that was a great review. Spencer's books sound awesome.

Spencer Brokaw Thank you Patricia!

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Puddle Spencer, the ProPlan is just under $40.00, but you soon get it back with the extra royalties and expanded distribution channel. Go to your dashboard, then to Distribution, then to Sales Chanel. Select all the channels and also the eStore. In the eStore, you can create a banner and your own page. This is what folks will see when they click on the link to purchase your book.

You can also create discount codes in your dashboard to hand out to your relatives and friends. I've found this encourages people to buy. If you need any help, let me know.

Spencer Brokaw Thanks Patricia! I'll ask my parents about that.

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Puddle Thanks for the email Spencer. I'll fill the form in and send it back, then I'll send you some questions. :) LOL.

Unruly Guides Spencer is truly a remarkable young man, and his writing has already improved remarkably over the past year. Just reading his blog, his writing ability is far beyond his years. I anticipate tremendous works to come from this young man. -- Suz

Spencer Brokaw Thanks Suzanne! :)