Modern Girl's Reviews > On the Shores of the Mediterranean

On the Shores of the Mediterranean by Eric Newby

Jul 22, 11

bookshelves: history, travel, non-fiction
Read from June 29 to July 22, 2011

The premise is exciting, but the author isn't much of a storyteller. His tone is too distant at the wrong times, and he goes on too many tangents to help the reader follow the points. I mean, I love a good tangent. But while he's describing something intensely, he also talks about the history. And he just rambles.

The "overviews" he gives of each place is really quite a distortion. Some chapters were great, I felt like he gave a good idea of what the place was like. Other chapters focused on his humorously unlucky adventures with people, and didn't really speak much of the place.

I think I probably would have liked the book better if I read the paperback or ebook version. But the hardcover version from the library was so heavy, that I couldn't tolerate his mindless ramblings for pages when my arms were hurting.

I did enjoy the Mount Olympus, the Jerusalem, and the Great Pyramid stories. I was greatly disappointed with the chapters in Italy and the other chapters from Greece. I only skimmed the chapters in the Anatolia and in Tunisia. By the time he got back to France, I was exhausted and closed the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Shores of the Mediterranean.