Kat's Reviews > Roseanna

Jul 01, 2011

Recommended for: Jessica Fox-Wilson, Rachel Hirstwood
Read from June 29 to July 01, 2011 — I own a copy

Where do I start?

Without the casual remarks of a librarian in a nearby town, I may not have to come to the books of Swedish, married couple, Maj Sjöwall, poet, and Per Wahlöö, reporter. At least, I may not have found them when I did. Thankfully, that is not the case.

This book and the nine to follow, were written in the 1960s. This pair of writers can be considered the first of the great Scandinavian Crime Fiction authors and the policeman, Martin Beck, the first great Scandinavian detective.

Read this book and you will discover why. You will find a book that focusses mainly on the procedures as opposed to the life of the main character. The skillfulness of the authors lies in their ability, nonetheless, to leave you with a clearly defined character at the end of the book.

It is all about the case. A case that is not easy, nor easily solved, but one that involves unique developments and tactics to uncover and catch a murderer.

By the end, you will feel as if you've been living in a Hitchcock film - one that you wish would not end. You will be gripping your book as you anticipate the resolution through its many twists and turns. You will come away thoroughly satisified, having been a party to intense interrogations, with very little actual description of mannerisms and physical characteristics. Despite this, you will know these people because of what they say.

As well, you will be entertained by quirky policemen and the local people they encounter in their investigation. You will enjoy this book immensely, and like me, you will want to read every one of the books of Sjöwall and Wahlöö.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roseanna.

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan I didn't think they'd have this in my local library, but they do! I've got it on order. Sounds like a great book, Kat!

message 2: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Yay! Let me know what you think of it, Dan.