Victoria's Reviews > When You Are Engulfed in Flames

When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris

Sep 04, 12

bookshelves: essays, memoir, humour, family, non-fiction
Read on June 04, 2008 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Sometimes it feels as though ever since I first discovered David Sedaris, I spend the remaining time anxiously waiting for his latest collection! So, I've been looking forward to this book since I finished reading Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. When I first saw the cover online (before the book’s publication) featured one of my very favorite Van Gogh paintings (seriously, I even have a T-shirt from the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam that features this same painting), I was even more ecstatic! So, needless to say, I held some extremely high hopes.

And I did enjoy reading this book... I'm looking forward to adding it to the books we keep in the road trip bag to be read aloud from. But, I am a little disappointed to admit that this is not my favorite book of essays by this talented writer. Favorite cover, yes. But the content, while overall hysterical, was missing something in comparison to his earlier works. And that may be because there was less about the whole Sedaris family, which is always my favorite parts... or because Sedaris has apparently grown up quite a bit since that first collection of essays. They are a bit somber now, more serious and that does detract a bit from the overall fun

Either way, I admit that while this was not his best book of essays, it is still far superior to other essayists that I have read (such as ones by authors with rather pompous sounding names), and certainly one of the best covers. And after finishing it, I am once again very excited to read his next book... I hope it has more about his family though (or Hugh's family, too... that first essay was hysterical).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Are Engulfed in Flames.