Jeff Raymond's Reviews > Area 51: An Uncensored History of America's Top Secret Military Base

Area 51 by Annie   Jacobsen

Jul 06, 11

bookshelves: read-nonfiction, read-history, books-i-own
Read from June 29 to July 05, 2011

I heart conspiracies. They're so crazy, sometimes so stupid, always so entertaining. Area 51 conspiracies are more fun than most, though, and my fear going in was that this 400+ page tome would be conspiracy-laden and tiring as a result.

Luckily for us, Annie Jacobsen is a reputable journalist, and this book is actually pretty good. As with anything dealing with classified, partially classified, and second-hand data, the stories here need to be taken with the proper grain of salt, but we end up with a well-researched, well-intended look into the secret activities of the government and the tactics of our intelligence groups. Some great Cold War-era espionage tales, some interesting information about aerial surveillance, and even some nice, creepy theories about Roswell that I hadn't heard before.

I'm not sure I can outright recommend it, but if you had an interest and were on the fence due to the subject matter, it's definitely worth a read. Jacobsen generally handles the topic with the respect and proper skepticism it deserves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Area 51.