Margaretann's Reviews > The Birth Partner: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Doulas, and All Other Labor Companions

The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin

Jul 28, 11

bookshelves: baby-and-parenting
Recommended to Margaretann by: Anna
Recommended for: anyone planning on having a baby
Read from June 29 to July 15, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Unlike most of the other baby books that I've bought or received that provide the week-to-week/month-to-month "this is what to expect from your body and how your baby is growing" information, this book particularly focuses on preparing for labor, the stages of labor and childbirth in great detail. Although written for the birth partner (i.e. the mother's spouse, significant other, doula, or trusted friend who will be assisting and advocating for her during childbirth) it's also a great reference guide for the mom herself.

While heavily focused on techniques and tips for having a non-medicalized childbirth, the book does discuss epidurals, inductions, pain relief, fetal monitoring, c-sections, etc. which I think is very necessary as you never know what can happen. This book prepares you for those scenarios in which interventions are needed with out being "ZOMG you fail at being a mom!" It's also not a crunchy "Earth Mother Giving Birth in a Field and Eating the Placenta" type of book - which would have turned me off in the worst way. It provides balanced information without being judge-y.

I feel that I am better prepared for going into labor and having my baby based on reading this book and we have packed it in my hospital bag so that we (or actually, my husband since I'll be a bit busy) can refer to it if needed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Birth Partner.