Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Broken

Broken by Megan Hart

Jun 29, 11

bookshelves: adult, contemporary-romance, dark-or-taboo, romantica-or-erotica
Read in June, 2011

I think I shall call this one the tale of two books because this is how I felt when reading Broken.

Let's start with the book 1 : The good book.

Sadie's relationship with Adam is broken. After a skiing accident leaves him paralyzed from the neck down, he retreats inside of himself and becomes a shell of the person he used to be. Sadie longs to be close to her husband, but intimate moments are few and far between.

This is the story that I truly enjoyed. I'm constantly fascinated with peeking in the windows of another person's life and seeing what I find. Watching the struggles of others reminds us that we're not alone in our personal battles. Everything that Sadie and Adam went through tugged at my heartstrings and their story was tragic and emotional. I loved to read about these two as a couple.

Then we move on to book 2 : The "didn't really care" book.

Because Sadie is missing something in her life, she finds herself a "safe" outlet to live out some of the fantasy she's lacking in her own existence. Enter Joe - the mystery man. Once a month, Sadie and Joe meet on a park bench, where he tells her stories of his previous encounters with women. As he's telling the stories, Sadie puts herself in the story and imagines it's her. The time they have together lasts for an hour only, just once a month. Sadie never cheats. She doesn't indulge herself with many thoughts of being with Joe, and never really considers leaving Adam.

To be honest, I skimmed most of Joe's stories. In my books, I want to connect with my characters. After the first three or so of Joe's "sexcapades" fell extremely flat for me (they felt like a bland narrative, not sexy at all), I skimmed every story afterward. We never really got to know anything about Joe, other than he provided an escape for Sadie. I gathered that was the point near the end when it turned out that Sadie was the only one who truly "knew" Joe after all this time, but it wasn't believable or endearing.

I think that Hart just isn't the author for me. This is the second book I've read by her, and while I liked this one quite a bit better than the other one, it still didn't hook me as much as I would have liked it to. Her books are tinged with sadness, but it's not even in such a way that you feel like you learned something new or are going to ponder the books for months to come, like the worlds some authors are capable of creating. I'm also not crazy that she adds in side characters and family members whose stories are not as connected as you'd like them to be. The reason for this, I think, is because the characters cameo in other books of Hart's, but since you're not reading these in a series order it feels strange and disjointed, like these people were just dropped into the book for no reason.

Did I like the book? Yes. I really did - just not enough to want to continue with this author. Two books is a fair enough shot.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.

message 1: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth I don't really like to read books that make me depressed, I get enough of that in real life. Her books are just not enjoyable reads for me, and that is why I read, to enjoy. To me reading a depressing book is like taking a vacation Tijuana. Lots to see, but none of it uplifting.

Stacia (the 2010 club) It depends on the subject and genre for me. I don't like it in erotic books because it kills any thought of being turned on.

I've loved other books with heavy subjects but they weren't erotic.