Nancy's Reviews > Messenger of Truth

Messenger of Truth by Jacqueline Winspear

Jun 29, 11

Read in June, 2011

I am a great fan of Winspear's Maisie Dobbs books but this particular one just didn't appeal to me.

Maisie has a budding reputation as a psychologist and investigator with uncanny sensitivity and intuition. Her intuition was totally intact in this book but she could have used a training session on interpersonal relationships. She blew off her lover with little explanation (and less regret) and she was barely civil to her benefactress, and then her mentor, when they attempted to "connect" with her. Winspear has gone to great lengths to set Maisie Dobbs up as the model of a new, independent career woman (Post World War 1) but she emerged in this book as a less sympathetic heroine than in previous books in the series.

I've not read these books in their order of publication so I can report that in succeding volumes Maisie is more readable, more engaging, and totally in her game. I'm not giving up on the series at all, just saying that this was less enjoyable than the other excellent Maisie Dobbs stories. One aspect that I admire in Winspear's series that is totally in place is the ongoing exposition of the horrors of war. The toll of World War 1 on the British population is an ongoing theme of these stories and I have gained an appreciation of the lingering horror of that war by reading these light mysteries.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Messenger of Truth.