Bonnie's Reviews > Craving Perfect

Craving Perfect by Liz Fichera

Aug 14, 11

bookshelves: chick-lit, romance, arcs, adult, edelweiss-netgalley
Read from August 13 to 14, 2011

I was totally in the mood for something different and since I rarely read chick-lit I opted to give this one a shot. Reading the summary it sounded like your typical chick-lit but with enough originality to make it interesting plus there’s even…

Magic Treadmills!

I won’t expand upon that… I’ll let you all read about that interesting funny tid-bit. :)

Craving Perfect tells the story of Grace Mills, a baker in a pastry café that she co-owns with her sister Kathleen. Grace and Kathleen are quite close considering they are the only family each of them has left after the deaths of their parents. Grace is constantly ‘craving perfection’ and is always trying to lose more weight so that she can hopefully catch the eye of the hot guy at the gym, Max, that she’s been ogling over for several weeks. Which kind of turned me off from this novel and Grace in general because it’s more than a little obvious that Max is a superficial jerk, but don’t worry, you’ll end up loving Grace just like me.

One day when Grace is at the gym she hops on one of the brand new treadmills (Yes! The Magic Treadmill!) and proceeds to black out and wake up as someone completely different. She comes to and finds herself the spitting image of perfection (read: Barbie) and engaged to Max. But is what she’s always dreamed of actually what she wants in the end?

This book was GREAT and I loved it… super quick, fun, light read that took me maybe 24 hours to read. (Yes I slept). I loved how the author developed the characters and I loved how I ended up loving Grace in the end. Carlos, was plain adorable and I loved how infatuated he was with Grace even with the extra weight she always said she needed to lose. The writing was spot on and completely enthralling. It was interesting and extremely original story!

Low Point
The one and only low point in the novel that made me cringe (but still didn’t manage to lower the 5 star rating) was the professions of love after the very first date. You just don’t say I love you after the first date. It’s corny, clichéd, and it totally makes me flash back to my junior year of High School and how I agreed to go on a date with this guy because I totally loved his car and he told me he loved me after the first date. In case you’re wondering, yes, I did learn my lesson.

One word of warning there is a lot of talk about raspberry scones. You will end up with a massive craving for them... I know I sure did. To make matters worse there is even a recipe at the end. I'm running to the store to buy raspberries right now.

Don’t miss out on this little gem of a novel. Highly recommended as a light summer read.

Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Craving Perfect.

08/13/2011
5.0% "'My breathing quickened simply being in the same room. He was impossible to miss. It'd be like not recognizing buttercream frosting on a plate of cupcakes. With sprinkles.' Mmm... sprinkles."
08/14/2011
41.0% "GREAT book :)"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker I have this one. It looks fun.

Bonnie I'm really enjoying it so far! It's charming...

Bonnie But she talks about raspberry scones a lot and it's totally making me want one.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Bonnie wrote: "But she talks about raspberry scones a lot and it's totally making me want one."

That sounds sooooo good. A real traditional scottish scone (even without one raspberry) sounds so yummy.

Bonnie Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "But she talks about raspberry scones a lot and it's totally making me want one."

Mm-hmm... I sure do love raspberries though... damn book. lol

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Bonnie wrote: "I'm really enjoying it so far! It's charming..."

I have to tell you I hate the cover though. The position of the plate right under her... well it reminds me of this picture...

Bonnie Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "I'm really enjoying it so far! It's charming..."

"

hahahaha I'm going to have to agree with you. It's definitely not the best. And I think it doesn't actually do the book any justice...

I mean a tie and a pair of boxing gloves? Her sitting in an butt ugly green chair and oooh look! A raspberry scone. That's the best part. LOL

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Bonnie wrote: "Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "I'm really enjoying it so far! It's charming..."

Very odd product placement!

Bonnie Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "I'm really enjoying it so far! It's charming..."

I have to tell you I hate the cover though. The position of the plate righ..."

All they're missing is her holding a Starbucks iced latte in her hand or something. Man. A coffee and a raspberry scone... okay I think I hate this book now.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Bonnie wrote: "Man. A coffee and a raspberry scone... okay I think I hate this book now...."

LOL! Tonight I ordered pizza, garlic bread, and chicken wings for dinner for the family (no cooking on Saturdays). But no, I had to see a cereal commercial and it looked so delicious on the huge screen TV that I ate cereal for dinner.

Bonnie Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Man. A coffee and a raspberry scone... okay I think I hate this book now...."

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Bonnie wrote: "Lol silly. We had this huge BBQ today and I ate so much that I'm still full. But I could totally make room for a scone..."

ummm yum BBQ!