Daniel Audet's Reviews > Shock Wave

Shock Wave by John Sandford

Nov 29, 11

Read from November 22 to 27, 2011

I finished this book the other day and I'm about to start Lee Child's latest "Affair" but I wanted to post my thoughts on Sandford's cool series starring Virgil Flowers. Virgil is having love issues and this plays out in the background as our man gets sent to a small town undergoing growth issues. A big box store wants to plant itself in their little midst and some aren't so pleased so they begin blowing stuff up and killing people. Virgil's boss, hero and feature star of his own "Prey" series, Lucas Davenport,sends Flowers in to find out what's going on and stop it.
Sandford has such a smooth style and delivery, seamlessly weaving every element of good writing and storytelling into a tale that technically covers all the bases and doesn't remind the reader he or she is actually reading a book. Pacing is subjective, as always, and this book's pacing is relative to the story-line and events as they unfold. Action and sub-plots, mixing them that is, is a real challenge for many of us writers but not for this author. This is one of Sandford's greatest skills.
Bombs are going off everywhere and Virgil begins to see a pattern so, in his distinct style he sets out to stop whoever is doing it. This is a great who-dunnit and gives us a view of Virgil I think you'll like, and he is like-able. For writers, Sandford, as always spins a top notch tale that will have you taking notes and for readers, it's a great novel to enjoy.
__________________________________________________
Okay thriller fans, I'm still reading The Devil Colony and will post more comments on it soon but I was able to get my hands on a copy of John Sandford's latest Virgil Flowers adventure and I had to jump ship to read it.
If you've never read Sandford or any of his other in the "Prey" series starring Lucas Davenport, well, you need to. It's straight up homegrown major league fiction. Virgil has been a character in the master series and became so popular that he spun himself off into a headline gig of his own, a testament to Sandford's skill and popularity.
I'm maybe 200 pages in after 2 reading sessions and I can tell you this: Mystery and intrigue follow Flowers wherever he goes following mystery and intrigue and his easy going (most of the time) surfer guy style causes many to underestimate him, even his boss Lucas. Anyhoo...this episode has "that F'n Flowers" running down a mad bomber who has gone totally off the reservation in, what on the surface appears to be an activist style bomb protest of a big box store flattening a small community economically and environmentally. Oh yeah and there's a little municipal corruption going on in the background too that might be reason enough for someone to kill for. Sandford is again at the top of his game and the sales charts with this anticipated release and I highly recommend it for you mainstream fiction thriller lovers like me. More soon as I read through this great installment in the Virgil Flowers series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shock Wave.