Johnny Waco's Reviews > Journey to the Center of the Earth

Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne

Mar 18, 08

bookshelves: adventure
Read in March, 2008

I enjoyed this novel, but I'm not entirely sure why--it never really got that exciting, and the moments of tension were never that engaging. Somehow, these were not fatal flaws; the expedition of Dr. Lidenbrock, his nephew Axel, and their Icelandic guide Hans to follow the tracks of Renaissance explorer Arne Saknussemm down a dormant volcano and to the center of our globe settles for charming rather than enthralling. My wish is that Verne would have spent more time on the primeval world preserved miles beneath the earth's surface--acres of bizrre skeletons, thirty-foot tall mushrooms, pitched battles between sea monsters, and even a glimpse of a twelve-foot tall human beg for more exploration. I remind myself that Verne was a pioneer, and that it is unfair to judge him harshly for not pushing his ideas farther, when he practically created science-fiction on his own. Lower your expectations a bit, and you'll be content.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journey to the Center of the Earth.