William M.'s Reviews > Patient Zero

Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry

Jun 29, 11

bookshelves: horror

It is probably the fault of the publisher, but based on the image from the book's cover, you would think this is quite a zombie epic. However, although it is fairly sizable in scope due to the international threat created by author Maberry, if you count the actual number of pages containing the undead, it would not total more than 35 or 40 pages out of over 400+ pages.

I enjoyed the first third a lot more than the last two thirds because once the setup was put into place, most of the scenes fell pretty smoothly and predictably together. Anyone who reads military / covert thrillers (Richard Marcinko, etc.) will find a lot of the reading fairly standard, but author Maberry does propose a rather exciting scenario involving very creative biological infections and their unique abilities, with plausible science to back it up.

Patient Zero is the first of a new series using the main character Joe Ledger. And while, overall, I was satisfied with the book, I'm not sure how many horror fans will stick with it once they realize the series is much more a military thriller and not a genre book. I would expect considerably fewer sales of the next book, The Dragon Factory, when it is released. Mild recommendation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patient Zero.