Ellie's Reviews > Ransom

Ransom by Julie Garwood

Jul 04, 2011

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read from June 29 to July 02, 2011

I really loved this book. Brodick and Gillian were a delightful hero and heroine that I found both likable and compelling. I also found the supporting characters well written and engaging.

I thought this book began a little slowly but once I got further in the book I realized how important the first couple of chapters were to setting up the later conflict. I do wish that we got more scenes later on with Ramsey’s brother as it would be interesting to see how the relationship between the brothers would continue to develop.

One thing I found surprising was how much I liked the heroine Gillian. Often I find myself drawn to historical romances for the hero but in this case I found the heroine equally likable. One thing I really appreciated is how all of her actions have clear motivation. One thing that really irritates me in romances is when the heroine does something reckless without thinking through the consequences. Although Gillian does end up in some dangerous situations I always felt like there was a clear reason why she ended up in those situations and that I would have probably made the same choices.

The dialogue really sparkles in this book. The wedding scene and the ensuing scene when the marriage is revealed both made me laugh out loud. After finishing the book I went back reread both scenes and they made me laugh just as much the second time. : )

I only really realized after finishing this book that most of the conflict really arises from people’s perception of other people’s actions. Without giving too much away, Gillian and Brodick both essentially want the same thing - to defeat the “bad guys” and keep the people they love safe. Unfortunately, neither has confidence that the other can accomplish this. I could definitely see a parallel that as their confidence in each other grew, so did their relationship.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ransom.