AtenRa's Reviews > Everneath

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: ya-fiction, mythology, gods-and-goddesses
Read from January 08 to 10, 2012

I don't know how I feel about YA Greek mythology re-tellings. Actually, that's a lie. I know what I feel: dread. Granted, I have not read a lot of books of that particular genre but I have read enough to avoid it altogether. So when a friend offered to lend me her ARC of Everneath I was like "Um…" , then I sighed in defeat and accepted the offer. Thankfully, I didn't regret it.

Everneath is beautifully written and Ashton manages to create a dark, haunting atmosphere around Nikki's story. Nikki has spent 100 years in the Underworld and only when she comes back (only a year has paced in the real world) does she realise the pain she has caused to the people who love her, all the while knowing that she must leave again. I like how Ashton portrayed both Nikki's longing to return, her desire to see the people she loves and explain to them what happened when she last left, and her apprehensiveness towards them, fearing how they will react. Especially, the boy she loves, Jack.

Jack is not the only one in the picture, though. Would it be a YA book without a love triangle? Nope. In all fairness, what's going on in Evernetath is not exactly a triangle, but two guys want the same girl, so for lack of a better word I'll call it a triangle. The other guy is Cole, mysterious, bad and immortal. He was Nikki's companion in the Everneath and now he wants her back whatever the cost. I loved Cole and Nikki's relationship so much! Even more than Jack and Nikki's. I have a thing for the underdogs. And the I-am-smug-but-for-a-very-good-reason kinda guys.

I really don't know what else I can say about Everneath. Everything I write sounds very close to a summary. The story is so dense, that the smallest mention could be spoilery.
Awesome writing, great story and characters. This books comes out today, folks. Go, buy, enjoy :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everneath.

01/08/2012 page 104