Jenny Conatser's Reviews > 20 Years Later

20 Years Later by Emma Newman

Feb 15, 2012

it was ok
Read in February, 2012

It had its moments; moments when I was completely sucked in and stayed awake way too long to finish chapters. So I'll give some credit to the author, there. And I thought it was pretty creative to "organize" this dystopia into gangs. But the credit ends there for me. The characters were completely flat, none of the major questions were answered except what "It" was (and if you haven't figured it out by about page 25, you should probably read more, or at least watch more tv),and who caused "It" and why(complete disappointment, totally shallow). Everything else is left hanging, with the command to "look for another book with this same handwriting." (Don't even get me started on the framing device; it was ridiculous.) Was very frustrated by the treatment of women and girls in this book (which I assume I was supposed to be) as stupid, and mostly incapable of anything except birthing or sexual gratification. I was marginally intrigued by the promise of other questions being answered in subsequent books, but truly - not enough to actually read the books themselves. There was really just not enough substance here for me. Grr.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 20 Years Later.