Vy's Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

bookshelves: arcs, own-read, signed, 2011-debut-authors, favorites
Read in June, 2011

My first thoughts after The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer:
*Speechless*
and then after being speechless I became very paranoid. Like scared to look in the mirror after you take a shower paranoid.

This was crazy twisted and beautiful. No one told me how creepy this was going to be. When I wasn't sitting around looking under my bed I was sitting trying to understand what just happened. One page I think I know what's going on and then the next it's like I haven't even read the pages at all. I didn't feel like I was READING the story of Mara, I felt like I was LIVING the life with Mara. This isn't the typical everyday normal life, but Michelle Hodkin wrote it in a way that I believed that this was normal.

As normal as the writing made it, Mara's life is anything but normal. Mara is a bit on edge when she finds that she doesn't remember what happened the night when her friends were killed. She doesn't remember why she was the only one who survived. Mara lives in fear of everything she sees and hears. Day after day with the fear of herself and what she might do.

You'd think that after being traumatized by an event like that the last thing Mara would do is fall in love. When Mara does something, it's never something ordinary, not even when she falls in love. Mara ends up falling for the school's most gorgeous guy, Noah Shaw. He got to me the second he spoke with his English/British accent. *swoons* Noah started off as a real jerk and a total player, and I'm using that loosely. He's arrogant, slick, and dark. Of course underneath there's a whole different guy who I don't even know.

I loved everything about this book. From the original plot to the characters developments, especially the characters themselves. I just ate this book up the second I got it.

I understand that there is a lot of hype going on for Mara Dyer and some may be wary of reading it. In my opinion, this book was as amazing. I do see where the opinions are kind of weighted to either you absolutely love the book like crazy or absolutely find nothing about you like. But give it a shot because The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer has to be one of my favorite books I've read this year.

I'd go get this book the second it hits shelves on September 27.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

Quotes Vy Liked

Michelle Hodkin
“Noah shifted on the bed, and the oddest crunching sound came underneath him. I looked, really looked, at the bed for the first time.

"What," I asked slowly, as I eyed the animal crackers strewn all over it, "the hell?"

"You were convinced they were your pets," Noah said, not even trying to suppress his laughter. "You wouldn't let me touch them.”
Michelle Hodkin, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Michelle Hodkin
“Asscrown," I muttered under my breath as I headed to my next class. I wasn't proud of swearing at a complete stranger, no. but he started it.

Noah matched my pace. "Don't you mean 'assclown'?" He looked amused.

"No," I said, louder this time. "I mean asscrown. The crown on top of the asshat that covers the asshole of the assclown. The very zenith in the hierarchy of asses," I said, as though I was reading from a dictionary of modern profanity.

"I guess you nailed me then.”
Michelle Hodkin, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

06/29/2011 page 157
34.0% "Worse idea to start this the day before a test. All I want to do is read..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jeffanem I can't wait to see your final review!