Suzan's Reviews > How Reading Changed My Life

How Reading Changed My Life by Anna Quindlen

Jun 28, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in June, 2011

I love Anna Quindlen's thoughts on reading, and I love knowing that there are others out there who feel the same way I do about books and reading. Some favorite quotes:
"...it never seemed to me like a book, but like a place I had lived in, had visited and would visit again, just as all the people in them, every blessed one-Anne of Green Gables, Heidi, Jay Gatsby, Elizabeth Bennet, Scarlet O'Hara, Dill and Scout, Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot-were more real than the real people I knew."
"In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own. I have learned who I was and who I wanted to be, what I might aspire to , and what I might dare to dream about my world and myself."
"We are the people who once waited for the newest installment of Dicken's latest novel...We are the ones who saw to it that Pride and Prejudice never went out of print."
"Not for nothing did the Nazis light up the night skies of their cities with the burning of books. Not for nothing were free white folks in America prohibited from teaching slaves to read, and slaves in South Carolina threatened with the loss of the first joint of their forefingers if they were caught looking at a book; books became the greatest purveyors of truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Reading Changed My Life.

11/08/2016 marked as: read