Jess (Gone with the Words)'s Reviews > Shatter Me

Nov 14, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, read-2011
Read from November 11 to 12, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Read this review on my blog! --> Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

In all honesty, I had not read the synopsis for Shatter Me. The cover really drew me in and it has been receiving tons of praise from blogger friends, so I knew I wouldn’t be disappointed. “Not disappointed” turned out to be an understatement.

In Shatter Me, you are inside Juliette’s head, which is filled with the kinds of thoughts one might have after being locked up in isolation for 264 days. Juliette’s thoughts are desolate and repetitive and unsure. My heart broke for her. As a young girl, before she was locked away, she was an outcast...mistreated and discarded. No one should ever have to live like that, especially not a child. In spite of being treated so dreadfully, Juliette’s heart remains pure and kind, which makes it all the more heartbreaking.

Those are all things we learn throughout the book, because right from the start of the book, things change in Juliette’s one-room world. She gets a cellmate--a boy--one who treats her like no one's ever treated her before...he’s kind to her. Of course, some things aren’t always as they seem, and this is put to the test once The Reestablishment gets their hands on her.

The world Tahereh Mafi has created is dismal and bleak, so the fact that Juliette, or any group of people, can still hope for a better tomorrow is admirable. I liked that there was nothing to outrageous in the state of the world though...it was all very plausible.

I’d also like love to point out that this is one steamy book!! Juliette and The Boy seriously burn up the pages!! Although, I will say, I’ve never read of anyone blushing so. much. Maybe too much for my taste. But that is a completely minor aside, trust me, because everything else is so incredibly sexy. See the following quotes:

“He’s a hot bath, a short breath, five days of summer pressed into five fingers writing stories on my body.” - pg. 211

“My face is in his hands and my lips are at his lips and he’s kissing me and I’m oxygen and he’s dying to breathe.” - pg. 231

It’s no secret that Juliette’s power is much (if not just) like Rouge’s from X-Men. I think it’s a great power to explore, and we’ve only scratched the surface in discovering what all Juliette can do. And!! She might or might not be alone in having this unique ability...you’ll have to read and discover it all on your own. [Insert evil laughter here]

From page one, I was enthralled by this character, and the feeling only intensified as the story progressed. I was glued to this book, which truly is the definition of unputdownable. While the way it’s written is different, it is also beautiful, and it all felt like real, streaming thoughts. Strange, I know! Trust me, you’ll love it. You’re going to so abundantly love this book, TRUST ME!! I am speaking from experience, after all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter Me.

11/11/2011 page 20

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nafiza I am so glad you like this because I just read a review that dissed the book as "trying too hard" and said that the writing "felt too contrived" so I got all worried. Well okay not really because I love poetical prose but eh, it's nice to have my decision to buy the book affirmed. Awesome review.