Cynthia .'s Reviews > Memories of My Melancholy Whores

Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

Jul 15, 11

bookshelves: gabriel-garcia-marquez, 100
Read from June 29 to 30, 2011, read count: 1

At face value, you will think this is a frivolous read - a 90-year-old man who wanted to get laid. But no, there is more to this book than just sex.

This 90-year-old man whose name I forgot, has had innumerable sexual escapades devoid of love. So not once has he taken vows with any woman. He never felt how it was to love and be loved back. Until one day, through the complicity of the owner of a whorehouse whose name I also forgot, he was able to find love in a 14-year-old girl. You may cringe at the thought of them making love, but uhh.. no, they didn't. All the girl did when they were together was to lie in bed and just sleep. :D But anyway, the lesson here is, when it comes to love, age doesn't matter (sounds too cliche, eh?). Whether you're young or old, love will come at your doorstep. It happens to everybody. And in the case of the perverted protagonist whose name I still cannot recall, it's never too late to fall in love. :)

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memories of My Melancholy Whores.

Quotes Cynthia Liked

Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez
“The only Virgos left in the world are people like you who were born in August.”
tags: humor

Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez
“This was when I heard that the first symptom of old age is when you begin to resemble your father.”

Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez
“For a week I did not take off my mechanic's coverall day or night I did not bathe or shave or brush my teeth because love taught me too late that you groom yourself for someone you dress and perfume yourself for someone and I'd never had anyone to do that for.”
tags: love

Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez
“I always had understood that dying of love was mere poetic license.”

06/29/2011 page 55