Heather's Reviews > Founder

Founder by L.M. Long

Oct 17, 11

Read from October 07 to 08, 2011 — I own a copy

Founder was not anything like what I expected. I thought I would find a tribal society ruled by the girl on the front cover totally untouched by the human race. You know those tribes they always talk about on Discovery channel where they find indigenous people who have never seen a white person before. This wasn't that story. This was the opposite. This was a story of an Aryan race, a white supremacist group trying to make a completely pure group of blonde haired blue eyed people while weeding out the darker skinned, brown eyed, brown haired "Untouchables".
They live in seclusion in the jungles of Brazil and only a select few know that WWII was lost and that the world, for the most part, is free.

I knew the Untouchables were going to find out eventually that the real world wasn't like they thought it was and I couldn't wait to see it happen, but the way things happened was so surprising. Marta is one of the narrators of the story. She is an untouchable, dark hair and eyes, but her mother was a pure, the Fuhrer's wife. So she is allowed certain freedoms and protections that other untouchables, don't have. Days in the village are spent drilling for war, a war that will never come, and for the untouchables, doing chores for the pures.

Lara, a blonde haired, blue eyed flight attendant living in Redlands, California with her husband Sergio, is the other narrator of the story. She knows nothing of the Aryan nation in the jungles of Brazil. But through a series of coincidences and tragedies she comes to know of them or figure out about them and she, her mother and Sergio set out on a dangerous journey to look for them.

Marta, because of the way she was raised, is hard and used to taking orders so she always does as she is told. She doesn't want trouble in her village. She's afraid of change. She doesn't want anyone to be hurt, but she's outraged at some of the things that have happened behind her back. But she's scared, too. Because she's believed everything she's been told. All the propaganda.

Lara has been raised free and allowed to choose who to love and finds this Aryan race appalling. She wants to do something about it. Her sense of right and wrong drives her to the Brazilian jungle to find Marta's village Founder and let them know the truth.

This novel is so unpredictable and unforgettable. I loved reading it. I read it in one sitting. When Marta talks to one of the Pure guards, Henrik, I can't help but picture the guard in The Sound of Music. I received the paperback copy of the book in an incredible presentation and the book was very well edited. No mistakes that I saw. The writing is done very well, just enough description to know what it looks like and feels like, but not overdone. There is a good balance of dialogue and action and it's good to be inside of Marta's head to understand what she's thinking, why she makes the choices she does. Ms. Long's writing style is easy to read, it flows nicely.

There is some violence in the novel and some mature themes but it was never overly violent.
The ending is left open so I think there will be more novels to come. I hope so!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Founder.