Christine's Reviews > Snowy Night with a Stranger

Snowy Night with a Stranger by Jane Feather

Jun 28, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy

I should probably preface this by saying that I generally find short stories and novellas to be less satisfying than full-length novels. Every so often, something will convince me to pick up a collection, usually during those odd moments when I don't want to spend much time with a single story, and want to be able to put the book down at any moment. (Such as when I'm furiously reading a series back to back, but have to wait for the next book. :) )

Having said that, this wasn't bad. Of the three stories, I liked Sabrina Jeffries' the best, but not by much. Each story told the tale of two chance-met strangers trapped in a snow storm at Christmas. In the first, a viscount takes shelter with a neighbor and ends up intrigued by the man's ward, who is clearly unhappy in a betrothal to an odious man. In the second (Sabrina Jeffries), a family takes shelter with the Black Baron when their aunt/mother is injured in a carriage accident. We learn why the baron is considered black, and why he hasn't enjoyed Christmas in years. In the final story, a woman heads back to Scotland to find her brother to pass on a desperate message, and ends up traveling with a man whose face is covered, and who she doesn't realize she knew from long ago -- and hated. Life has changed him, though, and there may be room for love.

I tend to find the realization of love in these kinds of short stories to be a bit abrupt, and these were no exception. But they were fun, quick reads.

www.christineamsden.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snowy Night with a Stranger.