Kristy's Reviews > Me and Mr. Darcy

2079018
Jul 01, 11

bookshelves: 2011, mr-darcy-p-p-sequels, time-travel
Read from June 28 to July 01, 2011 — I own a copy

I have mixed feelings about this book. There are two aspects of this book that I have two conflicting opinions about. The book was a modern day Pride and Prejudice of sorts. It even had it's own Mr Wickham. This is the part of the story I liked. I enjoyed Spike and Emily's story. Although I don't know why Spike started liking her. She was nothing but a brat to him. That part was never clear to me, why he was attracted to her. But regardless, I liked it.

The part I didn't like at all, was the Mr. Darcy and Emily story. I just didn't think the magical part of the story fit. I think the book could have stood alone without adding a magical aspect to it. To begin with, I don't like Alexandra Potter's version of Mr. Darcy. I realize he is brooding and serious, but she made him about as interesting as brick wall. He had no personality and showed no emotion whatsoever. I hated that she did that to him. I thought she really took him to the extreme. Secondly, I didn't like the idea of Fitzwilliam Darcy falling in love with anyone other than Elizabeth Bennett. Much less, Emily Albright, with her crude language and bad manners. Mr. Darcy would have been appalled with her, not fallen in love with her. It was never made clear if she actually travelled back in time, to a fictional time no less, or if it was all hallucinations, dreams and wishful thinking. And I hate that. I hate there being a question left at the end of the book. I hate not knowing one way or an other what really happened. So I'm going to just think it was all dreams. Except the problem with that was the tour guide... Jane Austen? Please, as if she would go around being match maker to her readers. This part of the book just seemed really stupid to me. I loved the idea of a girl going on a Jane Austen fan tour and falling in love with a man who was brooding and unhappy about being on that tour, and him turning out to be HER Mr. Darcy. I didn't like that she met and "dated" the ACTUAL Mr. Darcy.

One more complaint. The cover, I really like it. But who the heck is it? Emily was very fashion UN-conscience, so she said throughout the book. She was constantly talking about how she didn't know how to dress herself fashionably. The girl on the cover looks very fashionable. She is not at all what I pictured Emily to look like. In fact I think she is like her friend Stella.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me and Mr. Darcy.