CC's Reviews > Learning to Swim

F 50x66
Jun 28, 2011

liked it
Read in June, 2011

When a small child goes off the end of a ferry, Lake Placid resident Troy dives in and rescues him, only to find that no one's reported him missing. Unwilling to turn him over to the police for fear he'll be returned to the people that want him dead, she tracks down his grateful French Canadian father and tries to piece together who his captors were/are.

I loved the beginning, it absolutely took my breath away when Troy jumped into that water and rescued the boy. Very compelling. The setting, as well -- Ottowa, Lake Placid -- provided a welcome fresh spin.

For me, the middle of the book shot through to the end without much happening. I read it all and wasn't bored in the least, but every once in a while I'd silently ask myself, "Shouldn't something be happening?" :) I didn't like the pop culture references (Susan Smith, Gerard Butler) and didn't care for the ending character revelations, just a bit too unbelievable for my taste -- though this is often my complaint with crime/mysteries. Oh well, what are ya gonna do?

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Learning to Swim.

Barbara Escher I didn't like the pop culture references either. I don't think they add anything, they date the book, and they escape those of us who pay little attention to pop culture.

message 2: by CC (new) - rated it 3 stars

CC Barbara wrote: "I didn't like the pop culture references either. I don't think they add anything, they date the book, and they escape those of us who pay little attention to pop culture."

I agree, Barbara -- those things always take me out of the book.