Laura's Reviews > Isabella Blow: A Life in Fashion

Isabella Blow by Lauren Goldstein Crowe

Jun 28, 11

Read in June, 2011

This is a much better written biography than 'Blow by Blow'. She doesn't dwell as much on Isabella and Detmar's upbringing (though critical points are included) and focuses more on Isabella's life and career once she was out of school. She makes relationships more clear; for example, while Detmar mentions Isabella's closeness to Bryan and Lucy Ferry, he never explained the relationship. It was helpful to know that Lucy and Isabella went to school together. I also liked the 'Cast of Characters' at the beginning of the book - not only to know who was who, but the author included an update of where they were now, which I liked.

There is a lot less of Detmar in this book, which I liked. While he was a key relationship in Isabella's life, this book is a lot more objective. It was helpful to know how her stints in institutions were paid for; the Matthew Mellon affair was omitted from Detmar's book entirely and the Venetian was only included in a paragraph or two. It sounds like his influence may have been more far-reaching.

I thought it was good to read both books; it gave a pretty complete picture of her life and tragic end. However, if you're only going to read one, read this one.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Isabella Blow.