Lisa's Reviews > Friends, Lovers, Chocolate

Friends, Lovers, Chocolate by Alexander McCall Smith

Jul 14, 11

Read from June 28 to July 14, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friends, Lovers, Chocolate.

Quotes Lisa Liked

Alexander McCall Smith
“But don't we often lie to people we love, or not tell them things, precisely because we love them?”

Alexander McCall Smith
“But that's exactly the problem, retorted Isabel. We're all stuck with the same tired and trusted ideas. If we refused to entertain the possibility of something radically different, then we'd never make any progress - ever. We'd still be thinking that the sun revolved round the earth.”

Alexander McCall Smith
“She was not sure if she would want him to have known; we do not always wish for those for whom we long to know that we long for them, especially if the longing is impossible, or inappropriate. . . to be loved by the unlovable was not something that most people could cope with.”

Alexander McCall Smith
“You have to leave your heart to get on with it. It's rather like breathing. We don't have to remind ourselves to breathe.”

Alexander McCall Smith
“It just did not make sense; unless, of course, as she had suggested, we all have a weak point, an area of intellectual or emotional vulnerability that may be quite out of keeping with out character.”