Nikki's Reviews > A Wizard of Earthsea

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

Jun 29, 11

bookshelves: literature, childrens-lit
Read from June 28 to 29, 2011

I originally read this novel about (gasp) a decade ago when I was in community college. The course I read it for was called Mysticism, Meditation & Madness. It still stands as one of the best classes I've ever had, with one of the best teachers I ever had. In fact, I took a children's literature course with her the following semester and she revealed to those of us that had been in her previous course the A Wizard of Earthsea was actually a children's book. We were all stunned! The book had such depths. And thus I was also turned onto children's literature in a way different from what I had in my childhood. But, I digress.
This novel is really terrific. It follows a young wizard as he comes into the wizarding world a bit too arrogant and immature. On one level, I believe this fantasy is just as much a coming-of-age story. Along the way, Ged unleashes a terrible power that comes to chase him across the world. This unknown, unnamed being is referred to as nothing more than a shadow throughout the book. The reason I have reread the book today is because I am going to explore this shadow figure in a research paper I'm writing in my Jungian Psychology class. And I'll leave it at that for now to keep this lil' post spoiler free. On a final note, if you like fantasy and/or children's lit, I highly recommend this read! It's jam packed with action and development as we watch Ged from ages 8-19.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wizard of Earthsea.