sylvie/emma's Reviews > Be the Change: Your Guide to Freeing Slaves and Changing the World

Be the Change by Zach Hunter

Mar 13, 14

bookshelves: nonfic, christian, arc
Recommended to sylvie/emma by: Z Street Team
Recommended for: Christians, People interested in fair trade and slaves, high schoolers, jr. highers
I own a copy, read count: 1

I loved this book. I especially loved three things about it: 1)It's awesome reading books written by teenagers that are my age, and this book is no exception. Especially since I am a girl who'd love to get published (I love to write) and I love God and want to change things- it's inspiring. 2) I love that Zach shared so many stories about people who inspire him- that's so awesome because it's great to read about people who have/had things hard but did something. 3) I really like the suggestions/ writing prompts- that's so cool because I believe that writing is a expression of your thoughts and opinions that will last a long time. That's a great idea. The only problems I had were small. There was a small amount of grammer issues (like on page 26, the paragraph about his mom is repeated and on page 59 there needs to be a space between Minty and Instead), but those are small things that will happen. Also, I wish there was a bit more about the modern day slave trade and a bit about how fairtrade is a way to kind of free slaves... Overall, the book was great!
Thanks so much for letting em review the books!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Be the Change.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (new)

Scott Go girl! Don't drop the ball like other did a generation age, who refused to graduate from 'freedom songs' to freedom work.

message 2: by Tara ♪ (new)

Tara ♪ Don't know if this is what you mean by wanting to know more about fair trade (I haven't read the book yet) but basically fair trade products are made by people who are not slaves. (As in labor trafficking, not sex trafficking.) By only supporting companies that do not use slave labor, the traffickers no longer make a profit and they will hopefully go out of business. This, however, will take A LOT of people to have any effect; after all, for each person who gives up eating Hershey bars (I'm using them as my example because they don't display the fair trade symbol and it can be assumed that the reason their candy is so inexpensive is because of the use of slaves to manufacture it) there are many more people who eat enough chocolate to make up well all of us who are attempting to help out. :)