Jessica (Step Into Fiction)'s Reviews > The Girl of Fire and Thorns

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

Aug 04, 11

bookshelves: arcs, 4-stars
Read from August 03 to 04, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

First, I'm going to agree with all these others about the cover. The ARC version of the cover does not match the description of Elisa at all. So I'm glad they changed it. (Plus, the girl on the cover looks about 10 years older than what Elisa is)

Now that is out of the way, on to the actual book :)

I really enjoyed this book. A lot. I wanted to throw it across the room twice. It broke my heart on more than one occasion but it made Elisa stronger for it. The Show-And-Tell factor (as I've seen others call it) bothers me. As a reader, you don't want to be told how someone is, like her husband King Alejandro, you want to be able to "see" it. Telling me he's not brave is so much different than showing me he isn't brave. From reading other reviews I see that this is the biggest complaint from this book and I definitely agree. I mean, reading a book is all about us imagining it not being told everything, you know?

The story was amazing. I had trouble putting it down because I was so interested in what was going to happen next. I loved the characters just as much. She definitely had no problem creating an intriguing plot line or characters to make the story flow better.

I'm not a religious person so at first I thought I would get annoyed with the religious factor of this story, but it never once bothered me. It's not like the author is trying to push a religion on you (which I've seen in other books) but its just another factor to the story.

Overall, I really enjoyed this story and I cannot wait to see what else happens. (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl of Fire and Thorns.

08/03/2011 page 64
08/03/2011 page 338
100.0% "I'm so pissed! How could she do this to me? How could she write this? Cruel. Grr…"
08/03/2011 page 338
78.0% "I'm so pissed! How could she do this to me? How could she write that? So cruel…grr!"
08/04/2011 page 432
100.0% "This book was amazing & highly depressing at the same time. It leaves me dying (no pun intended) for more :("
show 1 hidden update…