William M.'s Reviews > Forever Will You Suffer

Forever Will You Suffer by Gary  Frank

Jun 28, 11

it was ok
bookshelves: horror

I was intrigued by the premise of this book and for the first three-quarters was fairly entertained, but the ending fell apart and I quickly realized that this story would have been better suited as a novella. I also have a problem with horror writers writing in the first person, because you can immediately assume that the protagonist won't die... he can't, because he's telling the story. This isn't always the case, of course, but horror tales in the third person are usually more suspenseful. Horror legends like Richard Laymon and Bentley Little can pull it off successfully, but not many others. First person storytelling is also a sign of a first-time writer, as is the case here.

My other criticism is the heavy use of dialogue pushing the story instead of characters' actions, which are always more interesting. I use the phrase "show, don't tell" to let the reader figure out things on their own in order to make the experience more engaging. That being said, I'm curious to read Gary Frank's next work and see the growth of his writing and storytelling skills.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever Will You Suffer.