Anna's Reviews > Every Secret Thing

Every Secret Thing by Emma Cole

Aug 20, 11

bookshelves: 5-stars, read-in-2011, dual-timeline, mystery-crime, world-war-two
Read from August 16 to 20, 2011

Set in both the past and present, this book is part mystery/thriller, part beautiful romance. I loved the suspense, I loved the poignancy; some scenes were so tense I couldn't turn the pages fast enough, other scenes were so tender they made me well up.

The mystery/thriller starts when Kate is approached by an old man who mentions a murder in WW2 in one breath and her beloved grandmother in the next, before becoming the victim of a hit-and-run. Shocked, but compelled to uncover the secrets of her grandmother's past, Kate chases the clues back and forth across the Atlantic whilst being pursued by an unknown enemy determined to keep those secrets hidden at any cost.

The romance scenes are set during the war and are few and far between, but it's they that pull the story together, it's they that leave you with a sad but beautiful warmth. The further you get in the book, the more poignant they become. Gorgeous. Heartbreaking.

I don't give five stars very often; this book is worth every one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Secret Thing.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jemidar (last edited Aug 16, 2011 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jemidar Oh oh, got this in my TBR. Might dig it out when I'm finished with the ho-hum historical.

Hannah Susanna Kearsley can call herself what ever she wants too as long as she keeps writing such good stuff. I'd even read Sci-Fi if she penned it :)

Jemidar I'd probably read her shopping list. LOL.

Hannah Jemidar wrote: "I'd probably read her shopping list. LOL."

LOL!

Cheese
Strong heroines
Dog food

Yep, sounds good to me.

Jemidar LOL. But you aren't Susanna Kearsley!!

Hannah Jemidar wrote: "LOL. But you aren't Susanna Kearsley!!"

Unfortunately, no :(

Otherwise, I'd be patting myself on the back congratulating myself on what an awesome writer I am...

Jemidar And what wonderful shopping lists you write ;-D.

message 8: by Anna (last edited Aug 17, 2011 04:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Confession time: I'm not crazy about the books she writes as SK. I've read two (Mariana and Sophia's Secret) and think I gave them both 3 stars.

Thought I'd try her in a different genre, and have to say, fifty pages in, I'm already enjoing this mystery book more than I did her romantic ones!

message 9: by Hannah (last edited Aug 17, 2011 05:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hannah Anna wrote: "Confession time: I'm not crazy about the books she writes as SK. I've read two (Mariana and Sophia's Secret) and think I gave them both 3 stars..."

HERESY!!!! Is it time to defriend you?
haha - just kidding.
There are so many books that my friends adore and I can't figure out why (and vice versa). So Kearsley doesn't rock your boat - at least we got a bi-zillion other books we can squee about, right?

message 10: by Jemidar (last edited Aug 17, 2011 08:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jemidar I must admit, Mariana didn't do that much for me either. I just couldn't understand what all the fuss was about and gave it three stars too. But to put Sophia's Secret in the same basket? Sacrilege!!

I haven't read this one to compare, but Seasons of Storms is also more mystery orientated, so you might like that one better as well. I've found people who love her other books don't seem as keen on SofS, although I love it as much as the others, beside Mariana of course :-).

message 11: by Anna (last edited Aug 17, 2011 09:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Hehe, I'll get my coat.....!

I'm definitely going through a mystery phase at the mo, so I'll get SofS sooner rather than later :-)

Jemidar I think the latest edition of Every Secret Thing was released under SK. I think she's trying to get everything under one name although the publishers haven't been keen.

Hannah Jemidar wrote: "I haven't read this one to compare, but Seasons of Storms is also more mystery orientated, so you might like that one better as well. I've found people who love her other books don't seem as keen on SofS, although I love it as much as the others, beside Mariana of course..."

Count me as one who wasn't into SoS. Just didn't hold the same appeal, so you may be on to something.

message 14: by Hannah (last edited Aug 17, 2011 11:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hannah Anna wrote: "She may not wow me as SK, but as Emma Cole, she has me gripped. I'm a third of the way through Every Secret Thing, and I'm loving it. Ooh, the suspense!..."

Gah, I was more then a little in love with Andrew Deacon. So suspenseful and satisfying. Can't wait for the next Kate Murray book.

Jemidar I really loved the hero in SofS. How can you resist a guy who has two faithful greyhounds!

I think the next Kate Murry book is a while away as she is currently writing a follow up to Sophia's Secret/The Winter Sea. I believe it also features someone from Shadowy Horses.

message 16: by Hannah (last edited Aug 17, 2011 11:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hannah Jemidar wrote: "I think the next Kate Murry book is a while away as she is currently writing a follow up to Sophia's Sec..."

Yes, little second-sight Robbie is all grown up. Can't wait to revisit him and see what he gets up to as a man.

IDK why I wasn't taken with SoS. I think if anything, it was the acting stuff and the past timeline mystery - just a big yawn for me. But you do have one thing right - any character who loves their animals must be a keeper.

Jemidar Haven't read Shadowy Horses yet.

message 18: by Hannah (last edited Aug 17, 2011 11:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hannah Jemidar wrote: "Haven't read Shadowy Horses yet."

I think you'll enjoy it more then you did Mariana. It's more mystery with a splash of paranormal. Named of the Dragon, too.

Jemidar Yes, I've only just managed to get a copy of that because it's out of print. It took about three months to make it's way from Canada to here :-(.

message 20: by Hannah (last edited Aug 17, 2011 11:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hannah Jemidar wrote: "Yes, I've only just managed to get a copy of that because it's out of print. It took about three months to make it's way from Canada to here :-(."

You'd think that by 2011 international mailing would be top notch. Sounds like the book came over on a Spanish galleon.

Jemidar LOL.

message 22: by Hannah (last edited Aug 20, 2011 07:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hannah YES!
I knew you'd finally find a Kearsley book you'd love to bits, even if she had to go by Emma Cole to do it. Didn't you just love Andrew?

message 23: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I've never heard of her.... either of her. I'm not much of a reader of historical romances. I like mysteries. Should I give it a go?

message 24: by Anna (last edited Aug 21, 2011 04:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Hannah: yeah, Deacon was the sweetest man, his story really tugged at my heart-strings.

I'm SO glad I've finally found a SK/EC book that worked so well for me; this was probably gonna be my last try with her, and I ended up hitting the jackpot, yay! I'll give SofS a go soon. I know it's your least fave, but I think the mystery element will work better for me.

Kim: if you like mysteries, then yeah, definitely give EST a go. It's set partly in present day, and partly in the spy world of WW2. The romance element is minimal, but crucial; it gives the whole story a beautiful bittersweet feel. But it's the mystery/thriller side that gives it it's pace.

Hannah Kim wrote: "I've never heard of her.... either of her. I'm not much of a reader of historical romances. I like mysteries. Should I give it a go?"

Agree with Anna that you should at least try this one to see if you like her writing style.

@Anna: You will probably like SoS. Look forward to hearing your thoughts of it. I wonder if it's as hard to find in the UK as I found it to be in the US? That and Splendour Falls took me AGES to track down.

Jemidar I've managed to get them all except the Splendour Falls :-(.

Hannah Jemidar wrote: "I've managed to get them all except the Splendour Falls :-(."

That figures. That one is tough to track down.

message 28: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Thank you all. Duly added to the TBR.

Jemidar Yes do Kim! I'm reading it now and can't put it down. I think you'll like it.

Anna, it's not just you, I think I like this one best too. I love her other books but this one just works better for me.

message 30: by Anna (last edited Aug 22, 2011 03:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Hannah: SofS is available here, but it's too pricey for me at the mo. We only have a little village library, so I buy my books second-hand from Amazon or Ebay. I have a price limit per book, and the SK books I haven't yet read are all at least double that limit. I'm keeping an eye on SofS though, and will pounce if/when the price somes down (as it did for Mariana and Sophia's Secrets eventually; EST was within my limit straight away).

J: wow, you're enjoying EST even more than her other books? You LOVED them! Excellent!

message 31: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I've just ordered this one from Abebooks. It was reasonably cheap and I figured that it was the only way I would be able to get it. The local library doesn't have it.

Jemidar Yep, I think this one's better, and I wouldn't have thought that possible!

I second you trying SofS when you can.