Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)'s Reviews > Kilgannon

Kilgannon by Kathleen Givens

Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: scotland
Read from January 09 to 22, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I love a good historical novel about Scotland, and this one that begins in 1712 was a really good read. Although it begins in London with the story of Mary Lowell and introduces the reader to society in England at that time, when Mary meets Alex MacGannon, Earl of Kilgannon the story is about to change. A Highlander in a kilt is a novelty at the time and not accepted by all even if he is an Earl. This is a love story and a story of treachery and betrayal that takes the reader from London to a beautiful castle in Scotland, Kilgannon. This is a time in history of rebellion and potential war which is nothing new to the history of England and Scotland. Mary has to make difficult choices between her dear friends and family in England and her new family in a remote area of the Scottish Highlands.

Mary is a likable heroine with a mind of her own but not without doubts along the way. Blond dashing Alex is the right kind of hero if you love the Scottish laird who is both responsible and devoted to his people but a true warrior as well. There is a real insight in this book into the thought process of those who for so long defended their way of life and their country no matter what the consequences. We see a man torn between the safety of his wife and sons and the duty he feel for his clan and his ancestral home. It isn't a choice between them but a choice of what is is right and what is honorable and what would be the safe choices.

I enjoyed the book and will get the sequel, The Wild Rose of Kilgannon. It is a good combination of history and interesting characters with a good personal story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kilgannon.