Julie's Reviews > The Lost Crown

The Lost Crown by Sarah  Miller

Aug 16, 11

bookshelves: romanov, fiction, own
Read from August 10 to 15, 2011 — I own a copy

I have read many books, both fiction and nonfiction on the Romanovs, but this is by far the most emotional and intensely tragic account I’ve encountered. Told from the alternating perspectives of the four sisters collectively known as OTMA (Olga, Tatiana, Maria, Anastasia), these first person narratives capture the personality of each character superbly. Since it’s historical fiction, most readers will know how their story ends, but that also makes it more heart-wrenching to read, especially towards the conclusion, in anticipation of the demise of the Romanov family. The very last line of the book, delivered by Olga, is probably the most poignantly brilliant sentence I’ve read in literature in quite some time.

Those who are not familiar with Romanov history might find this a great introduction to the subject. The book includes an index of names and roles, Russian phrases, pictures and a summary of historical context. Each chapter contains a photo of the sister narrating which may alleviate any confusion a reader may have with the constantly shifting perspective.

The events are played out just as they did almost 100 years ago, which is a testament to the author’s thorough research. I found that the dialogue as imagined by Miller is well written and sounds so authentic, with each Grand Duchess having a distinct voice. The characters are wonderfully portrayed, and witnessing their growing indignity and helplessness really moved me. I can’t say enough about the emotional impact this had on me, so I will leave it to readers to experience it for themselves.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Crown.